My aunts husband of 50 years died without a will. They have no children or anyone else who may have a claim to his money. He has approximately $300,000 in his account and savings. How much should it cost to get my aunt his money and how long does (estimate) this process take?
Quick reply - trusts & estate planning, how much will it costs:
If you or your family member (loved one) die without a will, it generally means you have died "intestate." When this happens, the intestacy laws of the state where you reside will determine how your property is distributed upon your death. In Massachusetts, if you are married and you die without a will, what your spouse gets depends on whether or not you have living parents or descendants – children, grandchildren, or great grandchildren. If you don't, then your spouse inherits all of your intestate property.
- What Happens if I Don't Have a Will? An Introduction to Massachusetts
- Intestate Succession in Massachusetts | Nolo
- Massachusetts law about wills and estates | Mass.gov
- My aunt died with no will. - Q&A - Avvo
- This Is How Much An Average Funeral Costs
- Who can inherit if there is no will – the rules of intestacy - Citizens Advice
- What are the laws of intestacy? Who can inherit?
- My aunt died without a will and she had never been married or had
Browse our list of trusts & estate planning near you and resolve your issue!