Skip to main content

Dealing with a Legal Challenge? Don't wait. Ask your legal question for free. Urgent legal matters require immediate attention!

Analysis of Asset Distribution After Death of a Spouse in a Cross-Border Situation

This legal question related to family in Los AngelesCalifornia has been answered.

Location: Los Angeles  |  Law type: family

What happens to surviving US Citizen spouse ,76 ( their joint  bank acct asset of 100 K, community property house in California ) ....when other US CITIZEN spouse,85,  dies in INDIA with a will and a joint-house in India? 

What happens surviving US Citizen spouse ,76 ( their joint  bank acct asset of 100 K, community property house in California ) when other US CITIZEN spouse,85,  dies in INDIA with a will and a joint-house in India and NO children? 

Commonly posted questions...

Guardianship Proceedings in Manitowoc
2 years 4 months ago, family, Manitowoc
Legal Implications and Solutions for Changing a Payee
3 years 4 months ago, family, Albemarle

Legal Solution

The response provided below is specific to family in the jurisdiction of Los Angeles. If the response is inadequate, please submit a detailed inquiry.

Analysis of Asset Distribution After Death of a Spouse in a Cross-Border Situation

When a spouse passes away in a foreign country, especially when possessing assets both in the US and abroad, it becomes crucial to understand the implications for the surviving spouse in terms of property distribution and potential taxes.

Relevant Legal Provisions

  • California Probate Code: Governs the administration of estates in California.
  • California Community Property Law: Establishes rules for property acquired during marriage.
  • Indian Succession Act of 1925: Regulates the distribution of property in India after death.
  • California Government Portal: A comprehensive resource for understanding the legal processes in California.

Solution for the Problem

In situations such as this, the following steps are typically taken:

  1. California Assets: Since California operates under community property laws, any assets considered community property (like the joint bank account and the house in California) would generally be deemed as belonging half to each spouse. As such, the surviving spouse would retain their 50% interest, and the other 50% would be distributed as per the deceased spouse’s will or, in its absence, California's intestate succession laws.

  2. Indian Assets: The joint property in India will be subject to Indian succession laws. Depending on the specifics of the will, if it specifically mentions the property in India, then that will be followed. If not, the Indian Succession Act may determine its distribution.

  3. Tax Implications: It's crucial to consider the tax consequences. Both the US and India might levy taxes on the inherited property.

  4. Legal Assistance: Given the complexity of international estate issues, it would be wise to find the right lawyer who is well-versed in both California and Indian estate laws. This will help in smooth execution and transfer of assets.

Cost Implications in Los Angeles

Service Average Price in Los Angeles Calculated Price for this Situation
Probate Attorney Consultation $300 per hour $600 for 2 hours
Property Transfer Fees (California) $1,500 flat rate $1,500
Property Transfer Fees (India) $2,500 flat rate $2,500
International Estate Tax Consultant $400 per hour $800 for 2 hours
Execution of Will in India $3,000 flat rate $3,000

Note: These prices are approximate and can vary based on the specific circumstances and attorney fees.

Seeking Further Clarification

If you have any other concerns or intricacies in your case that were not mentioned, please provide those details. It's essential to have a comprehensive understanding to give the best advice. Always compare lawyers in your area to ensure you're getting the best guidance for your unique situation.

Questions for You

  • Has the deceased spouse's will been probated in India?
  • Are there any specific beneficiaries mentioned for the properties in either the US or India in the will?
  • Are you aware of any debts or liabilities associated with the properties or the deceased spouse?

Frequently Asked Questions:

How is community property divided in California if there's no will?

In California, if one spouse dies without a will, the surviving spouse usually gets all of the community property.

What happens if the deceased had debts in India?

The debts need to be settled before the distribution of assets. The property might be used to clear the outstanding debts if there aren't enough liquid assets.

Are there any tax exemptions for transferring properties to a surviving spouse?

In many cases, transfers to a surviving spouse are exempt from significant taxes. However, it's essential to consult a tax professional.

Can I sell the property in India if I inherit it?

Yes, but there may be tax implications in India and the US, depending on the sale value and the capital gains.

How long does the probate process usually take in California?

It varies, but on average, the probate process can take about 9-18 months. Delays can occur, especially if someone contests the will or if the estate is complex.


This content is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. It's always recommended to consult with a local attorney about your specific situation.

Written, answered, changed

Legal question "Analysis of Asset Distribution After Death of a Spouse in a Cross-Border Situation" has been changed 9 months 2 weeks ago. Demonstrate your legal skills and willingness to help and answer right now! Issue is related to the location of Los Angeles & area of law: family.
Latest reviews & rating
Can't believe there are no comments (answers) yet? You can be the first author. Let us know what you think and answer this question.. Write a comment

Respond to legal question!

Do you know the answer to a legal question that is related to the field of law called family? If you believe that you can advise the inquirer – in even the slightest way – do not hesitate and share your opinion in the comment section. This contribution concerns the location of Los Angeles and, therefore, it is important to post only comments that are relevant to this location. Do you have a similar or a different legal inquiry? Select the correct category, fill in all the required fields, and submit your post.
accident & property damage attorneys accountants-certified public administrative & governmental law... admiralty & maritime law attorneys adoption law attorneys adoption services attorneys antitrust law attorneys appellate practice attorneys arbitration & mediation attorneys arbitration services asbestos & chemical law attorneys automobile accident attorneys bankruptcy law attorneys bankruptcy services business litigation attorneys child custody attorneys child support collections civil litigation & trial law attorneys collection agencies collection law attorneys commercial law attorneys construction law attorneys consumer law attorneys contract law attorneys copying & duplicating service corporation & partnership law attorneys credit & debt counseling Criminal defense attorney disability services discrimination & civil rights law... divorce assistance divorce attorneys domestic violence attorneys drug charges attorneys dui & dwi attorneys employment discrimination attorneys family law attorneys federal law attorneys financial services franchise law attorneys general practice attorneys government offices immigration law attorneys insurance attorneys international law attorneys labor & employment law attorneys medical law attorneys medical malpractice attorneys paralegals patent (intellectual property) personal injury law attorneys probate (estate planning) probate law attorneys sex offense attorneys sexual harassment attorneys tax attorneys trademark & copyright law traffic law attorneys trusts & estate planning... wrongful death attorneys
Are you having trouble finding a reliable and highly-rated attorney in your area of residence? Does the endless process of browsing and comparing law firms annoy you? If so, simply skip this step and post your request (or a general legal question) in our Free Legal Advice Center. Then wait for a reply from our experienced legal advisors, consultants or even your chosen lawyers. You can inquire about anything concerning your case, as well as questions about judicial issues in your state.

Comments: answer this question

"Analysis of Asset Distribution After Death of a Spouse in a Cross-Border Situation"

family Los Angeles

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
I agree with Terms & Privacy Policy
Enter the characters shown in the image.

© 2016