Skip to main content

When family member refuses to pay back loan

Family member (stepdaughter) borrowed 110k with promise to pay back. Nothing was put in writing, as this was to be a short term loan to purchase a new house; claimed to be in a time crunch as her house sold and was unable to secure a real estate loan from the bank in enough time to purchase new house. The monies were withdrawn and deposited to her account, payable when monies were received from sale of real estate closing.  While her natural mother was alive, she paid 80k; when her mother passed, she cut off all communication and now claims it was an advance on her inheritance, even though mothers will left everything to stepfather, and there was no amendment to the will stating otherwise.  Ignores/refuses to communicate at suggested mediation, hired a lawyer that now is threatening to counter sue for alleged monies (116k) borrowed from her to help with her mothers terminal illness.  Current status was a request from lawyer for supporting documentation of 116k, cancelled check, etc. Since then, there has been no communication from her or her lawyer, despite several requests for proof.  Fathers current lawyer seems reluctant to pursue any further; fathers health steadily declining, necessitating alternative living placement, expediting the need to settle this matter as soon as possible.  Looking for any further recourse or resources available, including taking case to another attorney that isn’t intimidated by going ahead with whatever means necessary to settle. 

Legal question "When family member refuses to pay back loan" has been written 1 month 1 week ago. Demonstrate your legal skills and willingness to help and answer right now! Issue is related to the location of Chicago Heights & area of law: civil litigation & trial law attorneys. Latest answer commented 1 month 1 week ago.
Latest reviews & rating
Can't believe there are no comments (answers) yet? You can be the first author. Let us know what you think and answer this question.. Write a comment

What does a civil litigation and trial lawyers do and do you need an attorney to file a civil lawsuit?
A civil attorney performs similar job tasks as other attorneys, but only in civil cases. For example, when two or more parties will clash in a legal dispute seeking money or immovable property, civil litigation is the result. We can help you find the right and well-skilled trial lawyer or civil litigation attorney in your area to handle your case. You can browse our database of litigation law firms (litigators) for free. Let's start right now...

Respond to legal question!

Do you know the answer to a legal question that is related to the field of law called civil litigation & trial law attorneys? If you believe that you can advise the inquirer – in even the slightest way – do not hesitate and share your opinion in the comment section. This contribution concerns the location of Chicago Heights and, therefore, it is important to post only comments that are relevant to this location. Do you have a similar or a different legal inquiry? Select the correct category, fill in all the required fields, and submit your post.
accident & property damage attorneys accountants-certified public administrative & governmental law... admiralty & maritime law attorneys adoption law attorneys adoption services attorneys antitrust law attorneys appellate practice attorneys arbitration & mediation attorneys arbitration services asbestos & chemical law attorneys automobile accident attorneys bankruptcy law attorneys bankruptcy services business litigation attorneys child custody attorneys child support collections civil litigation & trial law attorneys collection agencies collection law attorneys commercial law attorneys construction law attorneys consumer law attorneys contract law attorneys copying & duplicating service corporation & partnership law attorneys credit & debt counseling Criminal defense attorney disability services discrimination & civil rights law... divorce assistance divorce attorneys domestic violence attorneys drug charges attorneys dui & dwi attorneys employment discrimination attorneys family law attorneys federal law attorneys financial services franchise law attorneys general practice attorneys government offices immigration law attorneys insurance attorneys international law attorneys labor & employment law attorneys medical law attorneys medical malpractice attorneys paralegals patent (intellectual property) personal injury law attorneys probate (estate planning) probate law attorneys sex offense attorneys sexual harassment attorneys tax attorneys trademark & copyright law traffic law attorneys trusts & estate planning... wrongful death attorneys
Are you having trouble finding a reliable and highly-rated attorney in your area of residence? Does the endless process of browsing and comparing law firms annoy you? If so, simply skip this step and post your request (or a general legal question) in our Free Legal Advice Center. Then wait for a reply from our experienced legal advisors, consultants or even your chosen lawyers. You can inquire about anything concerning your case, as well as questions about judicial issues in your state.

Comments: answer this question

"When family member refuses to pay back loan"

Chicago Heights civil litigation & trial law attorneys

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
I agree with Terms & Privacy Policy
Enter the characters shown in the image.

© 2016