What can be done if my lawyer personally new the person I accused by in my case
My lawyer was in a major conflict of interest....with my case in which i had gotten a 1 million dollar bail that did not fit for a non-violent case... I can also prove that there was many violations and missconduct in my case by the police department as well.......I was never given my discovery packet as per my requests.... and ultimately was sent to State Prison in 2017 to 2019..... which i had never been to one prison.....I had my GeneralContractor License ... for which I had my own business.... I also had two young daughter's.....it was not right.... it has been very damaging.... Pretty much has ruined my life., ...
Addressing a Lawyer's Conflict of Interest and Misconduct in Criminal Defense
The scenario presented emphasizes a significant potential conflict of interest with your appointed lawyer, procedural violations by the police, and misconduct in the course of your trial which has had lasting repercussions on your life.
Relevant Legal Provisions
- California Rules of Professional Conduct: Emphasizes the responsibility of attorneys to avoid conflicts of interest with their clients.
- California Penal Code: Defines various aspects of criminal procedure, including issues related to bail, rights of the accused, and duties of law enforcement agencies.
- Homepage for California Judiciary: For an overarching perspective on state laws and procedures, visit the official website of the California Judicial Branch.
Potential Solutions to Your Issue
Reexamination of Case: If you believe there has been misconduct, it's crucial to consider filing an appeal, especially if new evidence or revelations of misconduct have come to light post-conviction. An appellate practice attorney can review the circumstances surrounding your case.
File a Complaint: If you suspect that your lawyer acted unethically, consider lodging a complaint with the California State Bar. They will investigate the matter and, if your claims are substantiated, they may take disciplinary action against the lawyer.
Police Misconduct: If the police violated your rights or acted improperly, you might consider civil litigation. To pursue this route, you'd need to find the right lawyer who specializes in civil rights or police misconduct cases.
Approximate Legal Costs in Redwood City
|Legal Service||Average Cost|
|Initial consultation with appellate attorney||$250 - $500|
|Full case review for potential appeal||$2,000 - $10,000|
|Civil suit against police department||$5,000 - $25,000|
|Filing a complaint with the State Bar||Minimal to no cost|
Redwood City, like many other Californian cities, has a wide range of legal fees depending on the complexity of the case and the reputation of the attorney.
It would be helpful to know more about any steps you've taken post-conviction and any specifics about the alleged misconduct by both your attorney and the police. Have you already consulted with another attorney about potentially appealing your conviction or addressing the misconduct?
Questions for Your Consideration
- Were you aware of the relationship between your attorney and the accused during the trial?
- Did your lawyer disclose any potential conflict of interest before representing you?
- Are there any specific instances or evidence of police misconduct that you can share?
Common Questions and Answers
1. Can a lawyer represent someone if they have a personal relationship with the opposite party?
While it's not expressly prohibited, it can pose a significant conflict of interest. If the relationship might interfere with their ability to represent their client fully and fairly, they should decline or withdraw from representation.
2. What constitutes police misconduct?
Police misconduct can range from excessive force, unlawful search and seizure, false arrest, and even intentional fabrication of evidence. Each circumstance is unique and would need to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
3. How long do I have to file an appeal in California?
Generally, for felonies, you have 60 days after the sentencing to file a notice of appeal. However, it's always recommended to consult with an attorney as soon as possible to understand the deadlines pertinent to your specific case.
4. How do I choose a new lawyer?
It's recommended to compare lawyers in your area to understand their specialties and experiences. Always ensure they have no conflicts of interest and are aligned with your goals.
5. Is it expensive to file an appeal?
The cost can vary based on complexity and attorney fees. However, if you believe there's been a grave injustice, the cost might be secondary to the importance of rectifying a wrongful conviction.
Remember: Each case is unique, and while these general guidelines and answers can provide a starting point, seeking personalized legal advice tailored to your situation is crucial.