Skip to main content

Dealing with a Legal Challenge? Don't wait. Ask your legal question for free. Urgent legal matters require immediate attention!

What action to take when a dealership will not give me the title?

This legal question related to consumer law attorneys in BethlehemConnecticut has been answered.

Location: Bethlehem  |  Law type: consumer law attorneys

I paid cash for a truck from Klassic Kids Inc on 3/14/2023 and I still have not received the title.  I have reached out to them numerous times and each time I get a run around.  I filed a complaint with the Bethlehem Township Police department and was told they really couldn't help. I need advice on what I should do in order to get my title.  Thank you.

What to do if a dealership won't give you the title?

If you have paid for a vehicle and have not received the title, you may be wondering what your next steps should be. This can be a frustrating and time-consuming process, but there are several options available to you.

Possible Solutions

  1. Contact the dealership: Start by reaching out to the dealership and explain the situation. Ask for the title and let them know that you need it in order to register and insure the vehicle. Keep records of any communication you have with the dealership.

  2. Contact the DMV: If the dealership is unresponsive or unwilling to help, you can contact the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in your state. They may be able to provide guidance or help you obtain the title.

  3. Consult with a consumer law attorney: If you are still having trouble, consider speaking with an attorney who specializes in consumer law. They can help you understand your legal options and provide guidance on how to proceed.

Authority Resources

Legal Fees

Here are some examples of legal fees you might expect to pay if you decide to consult with a consumer law attorney in Bethlehem:

Legal Service Average Cost
Initial Consultation $100-$300
Hourly Rate $200-$500 per hour
Flat Fee $500-$5,000

Examples of Similar Legal Issues

  1. A car buyer in Bethlehem purchases a vehicle from a dealership and is promised the title within 30 days. After 60 days have passed, the buyer still has not received the title. The buyer contacts a consumer law attorney who sends a demand letter to the dealership. The dealership responds and provides the title to the buyer.

  2. A car buyer in Bethlehem purchases a vehicle from a private seller and pays cash. The seller promises to provide the title within a week, but does not do so. The buyer contacts the DMV and is advised to file a complaint. The DMV investigates and discovers that the seller had a lien on the vehicle and was unable to transfer the title. The buyer is advised to seek legal assistance to resolve the issue.

Legal Disclaimer

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Contact a qualified attorney in your area for legal advice specific to your situation. No attorney-client relationship is formed by reading or using this answer.

Commonly posted questions...

Man/deal 1 to 4 but less then 200 I two charges of that
1 year 1 month ago, consumer law attorneys, Texas

Legal Solution

The response provided below is specific to consumer law attorneys in the jurisdiction of Bethlehem. If the response is inadequate, please submit a detailed inquiry.

Legal Solutions for Delayed Title Delivery by Dealerships in Bethlehem

Navigating the issue of a dealership refusing or delaying the delivery of a vehicle title can be a complex process. Understanding the laws and procedures surrounding this issue is paramount. In Bethlehem, when you purchase a vehicle, the dealership is obligated to provide you with the title within a reasonable time frame. Delays or failure to provide a title can have serious ramifications for both the buyer and the seller.

Relevant Statutes and Resources:

  • Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT): Homepage
  • Vehicle Sales Regulation in Pennsylvania: Unfortunately, I don't have direct links to specific statutes. However, PennDOT's homepage above would be a primary resource for such information.

Possible Solutions:

  1. Consult with a Consumer Law Attorney: A lawyer specializing in consumer law can advise you on your rights and the necessary steps to take in retrieving your title.
  2. Contact PennDOT Directly: They oversee vehicle registrations and titles and can guide you on how to handle a dealership that fails to deliver the promised title.
  3. Civil Litigation: If all else fails, you might consider suing the dealership for breach of contract. Before this drastic step, it is wise to find the right lawyer to guide you through the process.
  4. Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR): Mediation or arbitration can be a less confrontational way to resolve the dispute. You can find experts in arbitration and mediation attorneys to assist.

Costs of Legal Actions in Bethlehem:

Legal Service Average Cost
Initial Consultation with Consumer Law Attorney $250 - $500
Full Legal Representation in Civil Case $2,500 - $7,500
Mediation or Arbitration $1,500 - $4,000
Filing a complaint with PennDOT $50 - $100

Note: The above costs are estimates and may vary based on the complexity of the case, attorney's experience, and other factors. Some attorneys might offer contingent fee arrangements or sliding scale fees based on income.

Clarification and Call to Action:

Before proceeding, it's essential to gather all related documents and evidence regarding your transaction. Such documentation will be crucial in proving your case and facilitating a quicker resolution. If you need immediate assistance or more insights, don't hesitate to ask a free legal question.

Relevant Questions to Address:

  1. Proof of Payment: Do you have a receipt or other documentation proving you paid the full amount for the truck?
  2. Communication Records: Have you documented your attempts to communicate with the dealership about the title?
  3. Contract Details: Did the sales contract specify when and how the title would be delivered to you?

Q1: What is the legal timeframe for a dealership to provide a title after purchase in Bethlehem?

The specific timeframe may vary based on state regulations, but typically, a dealership is expected to provide the title within 30 days of purchase.

Q2: Can I drive the truck without having the title in my possession?

Generally, you cannot legally drive a vehicle without having its title or a temporary registration. Operating a vehicle without proper documentation can result in fines or legal penalties.

Q3: What are the potential consequences for a dealership that fails to provide a title?

Dealerships that fail to provide titles can face fines, legal actions, or even the revocation of their dealership license, depending on the severity and frequency of the violations.

Q4: Can I return the vehicle and get a refund if the dealership doesn't provide the title?

Depending on your sales contract and state consumer protection laws, you might have the right to return the vehicle and receive a refund if the dealership fails to provide the title within the agreed timeframe.

Q5: Can I get a duplicate title directly from PennDOT if the dealership fails to provide one?

While PennDOT does issue duplicate titles, you would typically need the original title or sufficient evidence of ownership and valid reason for requesting a duplicate. It's best to consult with an attorney or PennDOT directly for specific procedures.


This content is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. It's always recommended to consult with a local attorney about your specific situation.

Written, answered, changed

Legal question "What action to take when a dealership will not give me the title?" has been changed 2 months 2 weeks ago. Demonstrate your legal skills and willingness to help and answer right now! Issue is related to the location of Bethlehem & area of law: consumer law attorneys.
Latest reviews & rating
Can't believe there are no comments (answers) yet? You can be the first author. Let us know what you think and answer this question.. Write a comment

Respond to legal question!

Do you know the answer to a legal question that is related to the field of law called consumer law attorneys? If you believe that you can advise the inquirer – in even the slightest way – do not hesitate and share your opinion in the comment section. This contribution concerns the location of Bethlehem and, therefore, it is important to post only comments that are relevant to this location. Do you have a similar or a different legal inquiry? Select the correct category, fill in all the required fields, and submit your post.
accident & property damage attorneys accountants-certified public administrative & governmental law... admiralty & maritime law attorneys adoption law attorneys adoption services attorneys antitrust law attorneys appellate practice attorneys arbitration & mediation attorneys arbitration services asbestos & chemical law attorneys automobile accident attorneys bankruptcy law attorneys bankruptcy services business litigation attorneys child custody attorneys child support collections civil litigation & trial law attorneys collection agencies collection law attorneys commercial law attorneys construction law attorneys consumer law attorneys contract law attorneys copying & duplicating service corporation & partnership law attorneys credit & debt counseling Criminal defense attorney disability services discrimination & civil rights law... divorce assistance divorce attorneys domestic violence attorneys drug charges attorneys dui & dwi attorneys employment discrimination attorneys family law attorneys federal law attorneys financial services franchise law attorneys general practice attorneys government offices immigration law attorneys insurance attorneys international law attorneys labor & employment law attorneys medical law attorneys medical malpractice attorneys paralegals patent (intellectual property) personal injury law attorneys probate (estate planning) probate law attorneys sex offense attorneys sexual harassment attorneys tax attorneys trademark & copyright law traffic law attorneys trusts & estate planning... wrongful death attorneys
Are you having trouble finding a reliable and highly-rated attorney in your area of residence? Does the endless process of browsing and comparing law firms annoy you? If so, simply skip this step and post your request (or a general legal question) in our Free Legal Advice Center. Then wait for a reply from our experienced legal advisors, consultants or even your chosen lawyers. You can inquire about anything concerning your case, as well as questions about judicial issues in your state.

Comments: answer this question

"What action to take when a dealership will not give me the title?"

Bethlehem consumer law attorneys

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
I agree with Terms & Privacy Policy
Enter the characters shown in the image.

© 2016