Skip to main content

Dealing with a Legal Challenge? Don't wait. Ask your legal question for free. Urgent legal matters require immediate attention!

Is there a statuate of limitations if I want to fight a restraining order against me in the future?

This legal question related to civil litigation & trial law attorneys in Manitowoc & WisconsinWisconsin has been answered.


 I just lost a case that my sister filed against me. It was for a restraining order for harassment.  She lied and said she was afraid I would kill her.  She also had her son and my other sister lie for her as well. The county commissioner was very rude to me and would not accept a notarized letter from a witness that would have proved my innocence.  My sister worked at the court house for 25 years and even worked along side this commissioner. 

Isn't that a conflict of interest and shouldn't court have been held

in a different court house because she worked there to make it fair for me?  I don't have money to fight this with a lawyer unless I find one pro bono.  The commissioner ruled in my sisters favor, I am not to be around my sister in public, but I can be around her at family functions, and at her house. Is this a normal thing, to rule like this?  Any helpful info about this that you can help me with I would appreciate.


Thank you for your trust, we will do our best to answer:

Addressing A Restraining Order in Manitowoc, Wisconsin: Analyzing Conflict of Interest and Judicial Bias

You've described a difficult situation, where you are concerned about a conflict of interest and potential judicial bias due to your sister's prior employment at the courthouse and her acquaintance with the presiding commissioner. You also express concerns about the unusual conditions of the restraining order.

Relevant Legal Provisions in Wisconsin

The key laws and statutes that govern restraining orders and conflict of interest in Wisconsin include Wisconsin Statutes Chapter 813 on Restraining Orders and Injunctions and the Wisconsin Code of Judicial Conduct, SCR Chapter 60. You can find them here and here, respectively.

Possible Solutions to the Problem

If you believe there was a conflict of interest and judicial bias in your case, you might consider an appeal based on these grounds. In such a scenario, it would be crucial to obtain legal assistance to understand the specifics of how to navigate this process. You can compare lawyers in your area to find the right lawyer for your case. For your financial situation, you could search for pro bono legal services or legal aid societies in Wisconsin, which might be able to assist you at low or no cost.

Estimate Rates for Legal Services in Manitowoc, Wisconsin

Type of Service Low Cost Estimate High Cost Estimate
Initial consultation $100 $300
Legal research and case preparation $1,000 $3,000
Representation in court $2,000 $6,000
Appeals process $3,500 $10,000

Please note that these costs are approximate and can vary based on the complexity of the case, the attorney's experience, and location.

Seeking Further Clarification

Your situation sounds complex, and it would be beneficial to ask a free legal question to gather more information about your legal options. It might also be helpful to gather more details about the specific concerns you have about the court ruling and how it was handled.

Key Questions To Consider

  1. Can you provide more details about the notarized letter and why it was not accepted by the court?
  2. Are there more instances where you believe the commissioner displayed bias towards your sister?
  3. Have you considered seeking legal advice on the nature and enforcement of the restraining order conditions?

This response does not establish an attorney-client relationship and is offered for informational purposes only. Always seek advice from a lawyer or legal expert regarding your specific situation.

Legal Disclaimer

Please note that this response is not legal advice and should not be taken as such. This post offers general information, which may not be applicable to your specific situation. No attorney-client relationship is established through this interaction. Always consult with an attorney for advice related to your unique circumstances.

Commonly posted questions...

I need an attorney for defamation of character
4 months 2 weeks ago, civil litigation & trial law attorneys, Elko
Civil suit filings
6 months 1 week ago, civil litigation & trial law attorneys, Romney

Legal Solution

The response provided below is specific to civil litigation & trial law attorneys in the jurisdiction of Manitowoc, Wisconsin. If the response is inadequate, please submit a detailed inquiry.

Addressing Judicial Bias and Restraining Orders in Manitowoc, Wisconsin

Restraining orders, while designed to protect individuals, can sometimes be a result of misunderstandings or ulterior motives. Especially when allegations of personal relationships or potential conflicts of interest between parties and judiciary personnel arise, questions about the fairness and impartiality of the proceedings can be warranted. In the context of Manitowoc, Wisconsin, understanding the nuances of local rules, regulations, and potential avenues for redress becomes essential.

Relevant Statutes and Sources

  • Wisconsin Statute 813.12 - Regarding restraining orders and injunctions against harassment.
  • Wisconsin Statute 801.58 - Change of venue due to prejudice.
  • Wisconsin Code of Judicial Conduct SCR 60.04(1)(e) - Disqualification based on bias or prejudice.
  • Homepage: Wisconsin State Legislature

Potential Solutions and Actions

  1. Conflict of Interest Claim: If you believe there was a conflict of interest because of the commissioner's association with your sister, you can file a motion to have the case re-evaluated. For guidance, you may want to find the right lawyer who specializes in civil litigation or trial law to help you navigate this process.

  2. Appeal: If the decision seems unjust, you can explore options to appeal the decision. The appellate process will review the facts and decisions made at the lower court.

  3. Witness Statements: Always gather and present as many pieces of evidence and witness statements as possible. If the notarized letter was not accepted, explore other evidentiary rules or avenues to present your evidence.

Cost Estimation for Legal Services in Manitowoc

Legal Services Average Cost ($)
Initial Consultation 125
Filing a Motion (Conflict of Interest) 510
Complete Restraining Order Appeal 2,675
Gathering and presenting evidence 890

Note: The prices are approximations and can vary based on the lawyer's experience, complexity of the case, and other factors.

Seeking Further Clarification

Understanding the complexities of legal nuances, especially in a sensitive case like restraining orders, is paramount. To ensure you're taking the right steps, always make sure to verify all details, seek additional perspectives, and gather comprehensive evidence.

Action Step: Consider asking a free legal question to better understand your situation and potential remedies.

Relevant Questions for Your Situation

  • Was the notarized letter the only piece of evidence you had? Understanding the breadth of your evidence can help in building a more robust case.

  • Did you raise concerns about the potential conflict of interest during the hearing? Early recognition and objection can sometimes aid in your claim for a fair trial.

  • Do you have any documented instances of your sister's relationship with the commissioner outside of their professional environment? Such documentation can bolster your claim of bias or conflict of interest.

Q1: How long do I have to file an appeal against the restraining order in Manitowoc?

Generally, in Wisconsin, you have a specific time frame (usually 45 days) from the date of the order to file an appeal. However, consult with a lawyer for specifics related to your case.

Q2: What is the process to change the venue due to potential bias in Wisconsin?

Under Wisconsin Statute 801.58, a party can file a motion to change the venue if they believe there's a prejudice against them in the current county. If granted, the case can be moved to another county for a fair trial.

Q3: Can I request a different commissioner or judge due to potential conflict of interest?

Yes, based on the Wisconsin Code of Judicial Conduct SCR 60.04(1)(e), if you believe there's a bias or conflict of interest, you can request a change. The judge or commissioner in question must then either disqualify themselves or state why they believe they can act impartially.

Q4: How can I prove the existence of a conflict of interest in court?

Documentation of personal relationships, evidence of past rulings that may indicate bias, or any other relevant evidence can be used. Testimonies from other individuals can also be helpful.

Q5: Are there pro bono legal services available in Manitowoc for such cases?

Many local bar associations and legal aid societies offer pro bono services. Check with the Wisconsin State Bar or local legal aid societies to find assistance.


This content is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. It's always recommended to consult with a local attorney about your specific situation.

Written, answered, changed

Legal question "Is there a statuate of limitations if I want to fight a restraining order against me in the future? " has been changed 10 months ago. Demonstrate your legal skills and willingness to help and answer right now! Issue is related to the location of Manitowoc, Wisconsin & area of law: civil litigation & trial law attorneys.
Latest reviews & rating
Can't believe there are no comments (answers) yet? You can be the first author. Let us know what you think and answer this question.. Write a comment

Respond to legal question!

Do you know the answer to a legal question that is related to the field of law called civil litigation & trial law attorneys? If you believe that you can advise the inquirer – in even the slightest way – do not hesitate and share your opinion in the comment section. This contribution concerns the location of Manitowoc, Wisconsin and, therefore, it is important to post only comments that are relevant to this location. Do you have a similar or a different legal inquiry? Select the correct category, fill in all the required fields, and submit your post.
accident & property damage attorneys accountants-certified public administrative & governmental law... admiralty & maritime law attorneys adoption law attorneys adoption services attorneys antitrust law attorneys appellate practice attorneys arbitration & mediation attorneys arbitration services asbestos & chemical law attorneys automobile accident attorneys bankruptcy law attorneys bankruptcy services business litigation attorneys child custody attorneys child support collections civil litigation & trial law attorneys collection agencies collection law attorneys commercial law attorneys construction law attorneys consumer law attorneys contract law attorneys copying & duplicating service corporation & partnership law attorneys credit & debt counseling Criminal defense attorney disability services discrimination & civil rights law... divorce assistance divorce attorneys domestic violence attorneys drug charges attorneys dui & dwi attorneys employment discrimination attorneys family law attorneys federal law attorneys financial services franchise law attorneys general practice attorneys government offices immigration law attorneys insurance attorneys international law attorneys labor & employment law attorneys medical law attorneys medical malpractice attorneys paralegals patent (intellectual property) personal injury law attorneys probate (estate planning) probate law attorneys sex offense attorneys sexual harassment attorneys tax attorneys trademark & copyright law traffic law attorneys trusts & estate planning... wrongful death attorneys
Are you having trouble finding a reliable and highly-rated attorney in your area of residence? Does the endless process of browsing and comparing law firms annoy you? If so, simply skip this step and post your request (or a general legal question) in our Free Legal Advice Center. Then wait for a reply from our experienced legal advisors, consultants or even your chosen lawyers. You can inquire about anything concerning your case, as well as questions about judicial issues in your state.

Comments: answer this question

"Is there a statuate of limitations if I want to fight a restraining order against me in the future? "

civil litigation & trial law attorneys Manitowoc Wisconsin

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
I agree with Terms & Privacy Policy
Enter the characters shown in the image.

© 2016