Skip to main content

Social Security Number put back in my maiden name

Location: Oxford  |  Law type: Family law attorneys

Joann is applying for Medicare as we transition Health Plans under GM Retirement Benefits. She cannot get "authorized" in the online SS System as it cannot authenticate Joann Lee Kultala, her maiden name and the name she has used for over 45 years.

We find a 2016 statement from SSA and see it is addressed to Joann Lee Agresta. We attempt to get authorized using Joann Lee Agresta and her SSN but because there are no other records of this name (Credit, W2, etc.) we are rejected.

A call to the SSA Offices (800#) results in them sending us to the local SS Office with Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Drivers License to be verified with our chronology and then to get an Authorization Number to proceed. We are instructed to take a name chnage form to adjust the name to Joann Lee Kultala.

At the SS Office we talk to two agents. After an hour of discussion, neither is willing to accept the documents as proof that they should accept the name change to Kultala, even though we presented them with all the above documents showing that Joann's name has been Kultla for over 45 years and that SS is the only place it is not.

They say that they require a court order / name change to initiate any adjustment. In addition, they will not certify that Joann is Joann Lee Agresta because we do not have any documents that demonstrate it.

Do I REALLY have to spend $$$$ to get a name change because SS is unwilling to understand the facts?

Legal question "Social Security Number put back in my maiden name" has been written 11 months 1 week ago. Demonstrate your legal skills and willingness to help and answer right now! Issue is related to the location of Oxford & area of law: Family law attorneys. Latest answer commented 11 months 1 week ago.
Answering question will demonstrate your legal skills! Write answer now!

A Family attorney in the United States is a lawyer who assists clients with civil legal matters, such as "child custody", "alimony", "domestic violence" or "divorce" cases. The "family law" candidate should have at least 2 years of family law experience. These experiences may include divorce proceedings as well as child custody and counseling. Browse our database of family lawyers and get a free family law consultation.

  • Marriage, civil unions, and domestic partnerships (domestic violence)
  • Adoption and surrogacy
  • Child abuse and child abduction (child custody, child care)
  • The termination of relationships and ancillary matters, including divorce, annulment, property settlements, alimony, child custody and visitation, child support and alimony awards
  • Juvenile adjudication
  • paternity testing and paternity fraud
  • more about family law at wikipedia

Respond to legal question!

Do you know the answer to a legal question that is related to the field of law called Family law attorneys? If you believe that you can advise the inquirer – in even the slightest way – do not hesitate and share your opinion in the comment section. This contribution concerns the location of Oxford and, therefore, it is important to post only comments that are relevant to this location. Do you have a similar or a different legal inquiry? Select the correct category, fill in all the required fields, and submit your post.
accident & property damage attorneys accountants-certified public administrative & governmental law... admiralty & maritime law attorneys adoption law attorneys adoption services attorneys antitrust law attorneys appellate practice attorneys arbitration & mediation attorneys arbitration services asbestos & chemical law attorneys automobile accident attorneys bankruptcy law attorneys bankruptcy services business litigation attorneys child custody attorneys child support collections civil litigation & trial law attorneys collection agencies collection law attorneys commercial law attorneys construction law attorneys consumer law attorneys contract law attorneys copying & duplicating service corporation & partnership law attorneys credit & debt counseling Criminal defense attorney disability services discrimination & civil rights law... divorce assistance divorce attorneys domestic violence attorneys drug charges attorneys dui & dwi attorneys employment discrimination attorneys family law attorneys federal law attorneys financial services franchise law attorneys general practice attorneys government offices immigration law attorneys insurance attorneys international law attorneys labor & employment law attorneys medical law attorneys medical malpractice attorneys paralegals patent (intellectual property) personal injury law attorneys probate (estate planning) probate law attorneys sex offense attorneys sexual harassment attorneys tax attorneys trademark & copyright law traffic law attorneys trusts & estate planning... wrongful death attorneys
Are you having trouble finding a reliable and highly-rated attorney in your area of residence? Does the endless process of browsing and comparing law firms annoy you? If so, simply skip this step and post your request (or a general legal question) in our Free Legal Advice Center. Then wait for a reply from our experienced legal advisors, consultants or even your chosen lawyers. You can inquire about anything concerning your case, as well as questions about judicial issues in your state.

Comments: answer this question

"Social Security Number put back in my maiden name"

Family law attorneys Oxford

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
I agree with Terms & Privacy Policy
Enter the characters shown in the image.

© 2016