Skip to main content

Reverting to Maiden Name at Social Security

Location: Lake Orion  |  Law type: family

Joann is applying for Medicare as we transition health plans under our Retirement Benefits. She cannot get “authorized” in the online system as it cannot authenticate Joann Lee Kxxxxxxx.


We find a 2016 statement from the SSA and see it is addressed to Joann Lee Axxxxxxx. We attempt to get authorized using Joann Lee Axxxxxxx and her SSN but because there are no other records (Credit, W2, etc.) we are rejected.


A call to the SSN Offices (800 #) results in them sending us to the local SS Office with Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Drivers License to be verified with our chronology and then to get an Authorization Number to proceed. We are instructed to take a name change form to adjust the name to Joann Lee Kxxxxxxx.


At the SS Office we talk to two agents. After an hour of discussions, neither is willing to accept the documents as proof that they should accept the name change to Kxxxxxxx even though we presented them with all the above documents showing that Joann’s name has been Kxxxxxxx for over 45 years and that SS is the only place it is not. They say they require a court order / name change to initiate any changes. They will not certify that Joann is Joann Axxxxxxx because she does not have any documents that demonstrate it. It is a Catch 22.

Do I REALLY have to go through an expensive / timely Court Process to get this straightened out?

Legal question "Reverting to Maiden Name at Social Security " has been written 11 months 2 weeks ago. Demonstrate your legal skills and willingness to help and answer right now! Issue is related to the location of Lake Orion & area of law: family. Latest answer commented 11 months 2 weeks ago.
Answering question will demonstrate your legal skills! Write answer now!

Respond to legal question!

Do you know the answer to a legal question that is related to the field of law called family? If you believe that you can advise the inquirer – in even the slightest way – do not hesitate and share your opinion in the comment section. This contribution concerns the location of Lake Orion and, therefore, it is important to post only comments that are relevant to this location. Do you have a similar or a different legal inquiry? Select the correct category, fill in all the required fields, and submit your post.
accident & property damage attorneys accountants-certified public administrative & governmental law... admiralty & maritime law attorneys adoption law attorneys adoption services attorneys antitrust law attorneys appellate practice attorneys arbitration & mediation attorneys arbitration services asbestos & chemical law attorneys automobile accident attorneys bankruptcy law attorneys bankruptcy services business litigation attorneys child custody attorneys child support collections civil litigation & trial law attorneys collection agencies collection law attorneys commercial law attorneys construction law attorneys consumer law attorneys contract law attorneys copying & duplicating service corporation & partnership law attorneys credit & debt counseling Criminal defense attorney disability services discrimination & civil rights law... divorce assistance divorce attorneys domestic violence attorneys drug charges attorneys dui & dwi attorneys employment discrimination attorneys family law attorneys federal law attorneys financial services franchise law attorneys general practice attorneys government offices immigration law attorneys insurance attorneys international law attorneys labor & employment law attorneys medical law attorneys medical malpractice attorneys paralegals patent (intellectual property) personal injury law attorneys probate (estate planning) probate law attorneys sex offense attorneys sexual harassment attorneys tax attorneys trademark & copyright law traffic law attorneys trusts & estate planning... wrongful death attorneys
Are you having trouble finding a reliable and highly-rated attorney in your area of residence? Does the endless process of browsing and comparing law firms annoy you? If so, simply skip this step and post your request (or a general legal question) in our Free Legal Advice Center. Then wait for a reply from our experienced legal advisors, consultants or even your chosen lawyers. You can inquire about anything concerning your case, as well as questions about judicial issues in your state.

Comments: answer this question

"Reverting to Maiden Name at Social Security "

family Lake Orion

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
I agree with Terms & Privacy Policy
Enter the characters shown in the image.

© 2016