Skip to main content

Needing Child Maintenance Help with Ex Living in the UK

Location: California  |  Law type: Divorce attorneys

I'm struggling financially, with my ex providing limited support for our kids while living in the home I own in the UK. How can I legally enforce child support?

I have three children that I care for full-time. My ex-husband sees them once or twice a year and has only recently started contributing a few hundred pounds per month towards their upbringing. We don’t have any financial agreements, and I recently found out from the HMRC that I might not be able to apply for child maintenance through standard procedures. The costs are piling up, with one child in their teens and me bearing the brunt of the mortgage payments on our UK house, which he occupies. How can I legally enforce him to contribute more? What type of lawyer should I look for, and what might the cost be?

Commonly posted questions...

Legal Solution

The response provided below is specific to Divorce attorneys in the jurisdiction of California. If the response is inadequate, please submit a detailed inquiry.

Legal Analysis of the Situation

Based on the information provided, it seems you're grappling with cross-border child support issues. The situation is complicated by the fact that your ex resides in the UK, and the property he occupies is under your name. Given the absence of a financial order and your difficulty in applying for child maintenance through HMRC, you may need to consider international family law for guidance.

Relevant Statutes and Sources

  • The Child Support Act: Provides the framework for child support enforcement in the UK.
  • The Hague Convention on International Child Support: An international treaty that the US and UK are both signatories of, which could help in your situation.
  • UK Government's Official Child Maintenance Service: It may not apply directly to you, but it's the primary source for child support regulations in the UK.

Possible Solutions

You may need to initiate a child support claim in the US and then have it enforced in the UK. While the HMRC may not be the route for this, you can utilize the legal frameworks of both the US and UK systems, especially the provisions of the Hague Convention. Additionally, you might consider discussing property rights, given the situation with the house. A family lawyer or one specializing in child custody in the US with experience in international cases would be most beneficial.

Cost Analysis for Legal Services

Service Average Cost in the US
Initial Consultation with Family Lawyer $250 - $500
Filing a Child Support Case $1,000 - $3,500
International Child Support Enforcement $2,500 - $5,000
Property Rights Discussion $1,500 - $4,000

Note: Prices can vary significantly based on the complexity of the case, the lawyer's experience, and the region.

Additional Clarifications

To better assist you, it would be beneficial to have more information. Also, consider reaching out to ask a free legal question to get some initial guidance.

  1. Duration of Ex's Stay in the UK: How long has your ex been living in the UK?
  2. Existence of Other Assets: Do you have any other shared assets or financial agreements with your ex?
  3. Previous Legal Consultations: Have you consulted any lawyer before regarding this matter?

Q1: Can I apply for child support in the US if my ex is in the UK?

Yes, you can apply for child support in the US, but enforcing it in the UK may require additional legal procedures under international agreements like the Hague Convention.

Q2: What if the other parent refuses to pay after an order is established?

If a child support order is established and the other parent refuses to comply, enforcement agencies can take actions, including wage garnishment, passport denial, and more.

Q3: Can property rights and child support be discussed in the same legal case?

While both issues can be addressed by family lawyers, they are typically handled as separate cases, especially when international laws are involved.

Q4: How long does an international child support case typically take?

The duration can vary widely based on the countries involved, the cooperation of both parties, and the specific details of the case. It can range from a few months to several years.

Q5: What's the best way to choose a family lawyer for such cases?

It's recommended to compare lawyers in your area specializing in international family law or child custody cases. Look for those with experience handling US-UK matters for best results.


This content is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. It's always recommended to consult with a local attorney about your specific situation.

Written, answered, changed

Legal question "Needing Child Maintenance Help with Ex Living in the UK" has been changed 1 week ago. Demonstrate your legal skills and willingness to help and answer right now! Issue is related to the location of California & area of law: Divorce attorneys.
Latest reviews & rating
Can't believe there are no comments (answers) yet? You can be the first author. Let us know what you think and answer this question.. Write a comment

Respond to legal question!

Do you know the answer to a legal question that is related to the field of law called Divorce attorneys? If you believe that you can advise the inquirer – in even the slightest way – do not hesitate and share your opinion in the comment section. This contribution concerns the location of California and, therefore, it is important to post only comments that are relevant to this location. Do you have a similar or a different legal inquiry? Select the correct category, fill in all the required fields, and submit your post.
accident & property damage attorneys accountants-certified public administrative & governmental law... admiralty & maritime law attorneys adoption law attorneys adoption services attorneys antitrust law attorneys appellate practice attorneys arbitration & mediation attorneys arbitration services asbestos & chemical law attorneys automobile accident attorneys bankruptcy law attorneys bankruptcy services business litigation attorneys child custody attorneys child support collections civil litigation & trial law attorneys collection agencies collection law attorneys commercial law attorneys construction law attorneys consumer law attorneys contract law attorneys copying & duplicating service corporation & partnership law attorneys credit & debt counseling Criminal defense attorney disability services discrimination & civil rights law... divorce assistance divorce attorneys domestic violence attorneys drug charges attorneys dui & dwi attorneys employment discrimination attorneys family law attorneys federal law attorneys financial services franchise law attorneys general practice attorneys government offices immigration law attorneys insurance attorneys international law attorneys labor & employment law attorneys medical law attorneys medical malpractice attorneys paralegals patent (intellectual property) personal injury law attorneys probate (estate planning) probate law attorneys sex offense attorneys sexual harassment attorneys tax attorneys trademark & copyright law traffic law attorneys trusts & estate planning... wrongful death attorneys
Are you having trouble finding a reliable and highly-rated attorney in your area of residence? Does the endless process of browsing and comparing law firms annoy you? If so, simply skip this step and post your request (or a general legal question) in our Free Legal Advice Center. Then wait for a reply from our experienced legal advisors, consultants or even your chosen lawyers. You can inquire about anything concerning your case, as well as questions about judicial issues in your state.

Comments: answer this question

"Needing Child Maintenance Help with Ex Living in the UK"

California Divorce attorneys

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
I agree with Terms & Privacy Policy
Enter the characters shown in the image.

© 2016