Skip to main content

Dealing with a Legal Challenge? Don't wait. Ask your legal question for free. Urgent legal matters require immediate attention!

In need of a lawyer for child custody and divorce

This legal question related to Child & family lawyers in Georgia has been answered.

Location: Georgia  |  Law type: Child & family lawyers

Seeing about how to get full custody of my two daughters and divorce from their father 

Automatic transcript: I am currently in the process of getting a divorce from my husband and we have two young daughters together. I live in Georgia and would like to know how to go about getting full custody of my girls. Can anyone give me some advice? I'm not sure what the first step is or how to go about this process. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Find the best rated child custody attorney in Georgia - steps

Who are the best Child Custody lawyers in the Georgia State and how to find them? We will try to help you compare top rated Child Custody lawyers in Georgia attorneys near you who focus on Domestic Violence, Same-Sex Couple Family Law, Divorce, Postnuptial Agreements, Prenuptial Agreements, Mediation, Property Division, Child Custody, Alimony in locations such as Marietta and nearby.

Commonly posted questions...

Obtain Child Full Custody
1 month ago, Child & family lawyers, Davidson

Legal Solution

The response provided below is specific to Child & family lawyers in the jurisdiction of Georgia. If the response is inadequate, please submit a detailed inquiry.

Child Custody and Divorce in Georgia

In Georgia, the primary concern of the courts when determining child custody is the best interests of the child. Given your intention to gain full custody of your two daughters amidst a divorce, it's essential to understand the legal framework surrounding this complex process.

Relevant Georgia Laws and Resources:

  • Georgia Code § 19-9-3: This code governs child custody proceedings in Georgia. It sets out the factors the court will consider in determining the best interests of the child.
  • Georgia Code § 19-5-3: This section covers divorce grounds and proceedings in Georgia.
  • Georgia's Judicial Branch: This is the official website of Georgia's courts. It provides various resources, including forms and guides on family law matters.

Steps to Gain Full Custody in Georgia:

  1. Consult with a Qualified Attorney: A knowledgeable family lawyer will be able to guide you through the intricacies of the custody battle. They can help you understand your rights, the best strategies for your situation, and the potential outcomes. To find the right lawyer, it's essential to do thorough research and compare lawyers in your area.
  2. Establish Grounds: You must have solid reasons for seeking full custody. This can range from proving that the other parent is unfit due to issues like abuse, neglect, or addiction, or demonstrating that you are the primary caregiver.
  3. Prepare for a Custody Evaluation: The court may order an evaluation, where a third-party evaluator assesses the home environment, parenting abilities, and other factors to provide recommendations to the court.
  4. Document Everything: Maintain a record of interactions, issues, or concerns related to your children. This could be crucial evidence in court.
  5. Attend Court Hearings: Ensure you attend all court dates and comply with any court-ordered assessments or evaluations.

Average Legal Fees in Georgia:

Service Average Cost
Initial Consultation $250 - $500
Full Representation in Custody Battle $5,000 - $35,000
Divorce Proceedings without Custody $10,000 - $20,000
Mediation Sessions $200 - $500 per hour

Please note: These are estimated averages, and the actual costs can vary widely based on the complexity of your case, the attorney's experience, and other factors.

Further Clarifications:

It would be beneficial to know more about the specifics of your situation. For instance, are there any existing court orders or agreements in place? Have there been any incidents that might affect the custody outcome?

Take action today: Protecting the well-being of your daughters is paramount. Ensure you're adequately represented and informed throughout this challenging process.

Key Questions:

  1. Have you previously consulted with an attorney regarding this issue? Knowing this can help identify the best next steps.
  2. Are there any documented incidents involving your husband that could impact the custody decision? Evidence can play a significant role in custody battles.
  3. Have you or your husband ever participated in mediation or counseling related to your marital issues? Courts often appreciate when parties try mediation before litigation.

Q1: What is the primary factor courts consider in child custody cases?

The courts in Georgia prioritize the "best interests" of the child, considering various factors like the child's age, emotional ties with parents, and the mental and physical health of all involved parties.

Q2: Can a parent with a history of substance abuse gain custody?

While a history of substance abuse doesn't automatically disqualify a parent, it can heavily influence the court's decision, especially if it's recent or ongoing. The court's primary goal is to ensure the child's safety and well-being.

Q3: How long does a typical custody battle last in Georgia?

The duration can vary significantly, but most custody battles can last several months. If both parties are cooperative and agreeable, the process can be shorter. Highly contested cases can take a year or more.

Q4: How often can custody arrangements be modified?

Custody arrangements can be modified if there's a significant change in circumstances that affects the child's best interests. Both parents must agree, or the requesting parent must prove the necessity of the change in court.

Q5: If I move out of the marital home, does it affect my chances of gaining custody?

Leaving the marital home can be a factor, but it's not determinative. The court will assess the overall situation and the reasons for leaving. However, it's essential to maintain regular contact with the children and stay involved in their lives.


This content is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. It's always recommended to consult with a local attorney about your specific situation.

Written, answered, changed

Legal question "In need of a lawyer for child custody and divorce " has been changed 2 months 2 weeks ago. Demonstrate your legal skills and willingness to help and answer right now! Issue is related to the location of Georgia & area of law: Child & family lawyers.
Latest reviews & rating
Can't believe there are no comments (answers) yet? You can be the first author. Let us know what you think and answer this question.. Write a comment

Respond to legal question!

Do you know the answer to a legal question that is related to the field of law called Child & family lawyers? If you believe that you can advise the inquirer – in even the slightest way – do not hesitate and share your opinion in the comment section. This contribution concerns the location of Georgia and, therefore, it is important to post only comments that are relevant to this location. Do you have a similar or a different legal inquiry? Select the correct category, fill in all the required fields, and submit your post.
accident & property damage attorneys accountants-certified public administrative & governmental law... admiralty & maritime law attorneys adoption law attorneys adoption services attorneys antitrust law attorneys appellate practice attorneys arbitration & mediation attorneys arbitration services asbestos & chemical law attorneys automobile accident attorneys bankruptcy law attorneys bankruptcy services business litigation attorneys child custody attorneys child support collections civil litigation & trial law attorneys collection agencies collection law attorneys commercial law attorneys construction law attorneys consumer law attorneys contract law attorneys copying & duplicating service corporation & partnership law attorneys credit & debt counseling Criminal defense attorney disability services discrimination & civil rights law... divorce assistance divorce attorneys domestic violence attorneys drug charges attorneys dui & dwi attorneys employment discrimination attorneys family law attorneys federal law attorneys financial services franchise law attorneys general practice attorneys government offices immigration law attorneys insurance attorneys international law attorneys labor & employment law attorneys medical law attorneys medical malpractice attorneys paralegals patent (intellectual property) personal injury law attorneys probate (estate planning) probate law attorneys sex offense attorneys sexual harassment attorneys tax attorneys trademark & copyright law traffic law attorneys trusts & estate planning... wrongful death attorneys
Are you having trouble finding a reliable and highly-rated attorney in your area of residence? Does the endless process of browsing and comparing law firms annoy you? If so, simply skip this step and post your request (or a general legal question) in our Free Legal Advice Center. Then wait for a reply from our experienced legal advisors, consultants or even your chosen lawyers. You can inquire about anything concerning your case, as well as questions about judicial issues in your state.

Comments: answer this question

"In need of a lawyer for child custody and divorce "

Child & family lawyers Georgia

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
I agree with Terms & Privacy Policy
Enter the characters shown in the image.

Georgia advocates and law firms from our database!

© 2016