Skip to main content

Dealing with a Legal Challenge? Don't wait. Ask your legal question for free. Urgent legal matters require immediate attention!

Need Help with Childcare Arrangements – Ex wants more time without overnights. What's fair?

This legal question related to child custody attorneys in California has been answered.

Location: California  |  Law type: child custody attorneys

"Feeling pressured to give up more time with my girls while dealing with the complexities of shared parenting. Need legal advice."

I'm in a tough spot right now with my soon-to-be-ex-husband over childcare arrangements for our two daughters, aged 5 and 9. Currently, he gets them for one overnight/day during the weekend and an evening during the week (Thursdays). But he now wants them for an additional evening each week. While I understand his wish, I already feel like I don’t get enough time with them. Plus, it's uncomfortable to be out of my own house another night of the week while he puts them to bed. On top of that, despite my offering, he refuses overnight stays on weekdays due to his work commitments. I need some guidance on whether I'm being unreasonable here and what my rights are. Also, I'm wondering about the types of lawyers I should consult, how to evaluate their quality, and an idea of what it might cost me.

Relevant Laws and Sources:

Commonly posted questions...

Legal Solution

The response provided below is specific to child custody attorneys in the jurisdiction of California. If the response is inadequate, please submit a detailed inquiry.

Potential Solutions to Your Situation

Navigating custody and parenting time issues can be challenging. In your case, establishing a formal custody agreement can be beneficial. This may involve mediation where both parents discuss and agree upon a schedule. If you and your ex cannot come to an agreement, a court might have to decide. For more in-depth information, you might want to find the right lawyer who can provide tailored advice.

Expected Legal Costs in Child Custody Cases

Cost Breakdown:

Service Average Cost
Initial Consultation $150 - $500
Mediation Sessions $200 - $1000 per session
Legal Representation (without trial) $2000 - $5000
Legal Representation (with trial) $5000 - $15000

Note: Prices vary based on the complexity of the case, lawyer's experience, and region.

Need More Information

To better assist you, it would be helpful to get more specifics about your situation.

  • How long has the current arrangement been in place?
  • Are there any documented agreements between you and your ex?
  • Have there been any significant changes in circumstances since the initial arrangement?

Relevant Questions and Answers Regarding Child Custody

Q1: What factors do courts consider in determining child custody?

Courts typically look at the best interests of the child, which can include factors like the child's age, emotional ties to each parent, each parent's living situation, and the child's adjustment to school and community.

Q2: Can custody orders be modified?

Yes, custody orders can often be modified if there's a significant change in circumstances and it's in the best interest of the child.

Q3: How is mediation different from court proceedings?

Mediation is a more collaborative process where both parents work together with a neutral third party to come up with a mutually agreeable plan. Court proceedings can be more adversarial and the decision is made by a judge.

Q4: What happens if one parent violates the custody agreement?

A parent who violates an agreement can face legal consequences. It's essential to document any violations and consult with a lawyer.

Q5: How long does the child custody process take?

The duration can vary. If parents agree quickly through mediation, it can be a matter of weeks. If it goes to court, it could take months or even longer.


This content is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. It's always recommended to consult with a local attorney about your specific situation.

Written, answered, changed

Legal question "Need Help with Childcare Arrangements – Ex wants more time without overnights. What's fair?" has been changed 2 months 3 weeks ago. Demonstrate your legal skills and willingness to help and answer right now! Issue is related to the location of California & area of law: child custody attorneys.
Latest reviews & rating
Can't believe there are no comments (answers) yet? You can be the first author. Let us know what you think and answer this question.. Write a comment

Respond to legal question!

Do you know the answer to a legal question that is related to the field of law called child custody attorneys? If you believe that you can advise the inquirer – in even the slightest way – do not hesitate and share your opinion in the comment section. This contribution concerns the location of California and, therefore, it is important to post only comments that are relevant to this location. Do you have a similar or a different legal inquiry? Select the correct category, fill in all the required fields, and submit your post.
accident & property damage attorneys accountants-certified public administrative & governmental law... admiralty & maritime law attorneys adoption law attorneys adoption services attorneys antitrust law attorneys appellate practice attorneys arbitration & mediation attorneys arbitration services asbestos & chemical law attorneys automobile accident attorneys bankruptcy law attorneys bankruptcy services business litigation attorneys child custody attorneys child support collections civil litigation & trial law attorneys collection agencies collection law attorneys commercial law attorneys construction law attorneys consumer law attorneys contract law attorneys copying & duplicating service corporation & partnership law attorneys credit & debt counseling Criminal defense attorney disability services discrimination & civil rights law... divorce assistance divorce attorneys domestic violence attorneys drug charges attorneys dui & dwi attorneys employment discrimination attorneys family law attorneys federal law attorneys financial services franchise law attorneys general practice attorneys government offices immigration law attorneys insurance attorneys international law attorneys labor & employment law attorneys medical law attorneys medical malpractice attorneys paralegals patent (intellectual property) personal injury law attorneys probate (estate planning) probate law attorneys sex offense attorneys sexual harassment attorneys tax attorneys trademark & copyright law traffic law attorneys trusts & estate planning... wrongful death attorneys
Are you having trouble finding a reliable and highly-rated attorney in your area of residence? Does the endless process of browsing and comparing law firms annoy you? If so, simply skip this step and post your request (or a general legal question) in our Free Legal Advice Center. Then wait for a reply from our experienced legal advisors, consultants or even your chosen lawyers. You can inquire about anything concerning your case, as well as questions about judicial issues in your state.

Comments: answer this question

"Need Help with Childcare Arrangements – Ex wants more time without overnights. What's fair?"

California child custody attorneys

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
I agree with Terms & Privacy Policy
Enter the characters shown in the image.

© 2016