My 12 year old son was expelled from school for one year for "verbal harassment ". During the process the school district violated both procedural law and my son's civil rights. The hearing was supposed to be held before the super intendent . It was not. The man sitting in fell asleep two times. My son wasn't asked even one question !! My son was interogated and forced to give a written statement by the police before his parents were notified or without a lawyer. No Miranda rights. Recent Supreme Court rulings by Sotomyer state; the police can no longer do this, as apparently it was common practice. I have more specific violations I can discuss during a case evaluation.
My first goal would be to appeal the current one year expullsion. Second goal to perhaps sue the school district for violating my son's civil rights, right to an education , negligence, procedural violations, etc.
- Teen responses when a younger school-age sibling has been bullied
- What to Do When Your Child or Teen is Suspended or Expelled
- Schools 'failing to expel students who bully teachers' as verbal abuse
- What to do if you're expelled from school
- Bullying and Victimization Among Children
- Jury Verdicts and Settlements in Bullying Cases
Browse our list of school and education lawyers near you and resolve your issue!