Skip to main content

Dealing with a Legal Challenge? Don't wait. Ask your legal question for free. Urgent legal matters require immediate attention!

How would I go about suing all 3 of the police departments for sexual harassment in my area?

This legal question related to discrimination & civil rights law... in Utah has been answered.


I missed a court date due to being stranded out of town. As soon as I returned home and realized I’d missed court I called and scheduled another court date, well about 6 hours later the bondsman and about 8 or 9 police vehicles showed up at my house. I was in the shower when they arrived. They were threatening to kick down my door. They got all my neighbors attention and they were all outside. Afraid the police would break in my door I answered the door in my towel and instead of letting me get clothes on the cop very forcefully grabbed me after I asked him to be careful because I have a very obvious broken shoulder, he spun me around and cuffed me in a very aggressive manner and refused to let me go get shoes or a shirt on!! Out of the probably 8-9 police vehicles there was not one female officer in sight!! Two cops ended up grabbing my arms and lifting them away from my sides as to make my towel fall, which it did. All the while I was begging him to let me please get some clothes on!! He refused!! Since they had both grabbed an arm my towel fell off of me and exposed my naked breasts to the cops and all my neighbors!! I begged him to let me get a shirt on but he just said “we’re just gonna tuck your towel in right here” as he tucked it in by the side of my breast! On top of that he wouldn’t let me get dressed until I got to the jail even though the other person in my home had handed him clothes for me to put on!! I am still so disgusted and humiliated!! Please help me figure out what my next move I can make is?? 

Sexual Harassment and Police Misconduct in Utah

The experience you described is deeply concerning and violates your rights as an individual. The police officers' actions were not only aggressive but also traumatizing, and it is important that you take action to hold them accountable. If you are considering taking legal action, there are a few things to keep in mind.

Legal Options

One option is to file a complaint with the police department's internal affairs division or civilian review board. You may also consider contacting the Utah Department of Public Safety or the Utah Attorney General's Office. Additionally, you can file a lawsuit against the officers and the police departments involved for sexual harassment and police misconduct.

In Utah, sexual harassment is illegal under state and federal law, and you may have a civil rights claim for gender discrimination. Sexual harassment can include unwanted sexual advances, comments, or actions that create a hostile work or living environment. Police misconduct can include excessive force, unlawful arrest, and other violations of your constitutional rights.

Related Authorities

To file a complaint or report the incident, you may contact the following authorities:

Legal Services Rates

Legal fees can vary depending on the type of case and the complexity of the legal issue. Here are some estimated rates for legal services in Utah:

  • Consultation fee: $100-$500 per hour
  • Contingency fee: 33.33% to 40% of settlement or judgment
  • Hourly fee: $150-$500 per hour

It's important to find the right lawyer for your case. You can compare lawyers in your area or find the best lawyers based on their experience, expertise, and reputation.

Legal Disclaimer

This response is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. You should contact an attorney in your jurisdiction to obtain advice on any specific legal issues.

Legal Solution

The response provided below is specific to discrimination & civil rights law... in the jurisdiction of Utah. If the response is inadequate, please submit a detailed inquiry.

Addressing Police Misconduct and Sexual Harassment in Utah

The experience you've recounted is deeply concerning and touches upon issues of police misconduct, potential violation of your civil rights, and sexual harassment. If your account is accurate, it could serve as the basis for legal action against the involved police departments and individuals.

Relevant Laws and Resources

  • Utah Code Title 76 - Criminal Code: This contains provisions related to offenses against public order and decency.
  • Utah Code Title 77 - Utah Code of Criminal Procedure: Offers insight into the proper procedures to be followed during arrests.
  • Utah Code Title 78B - Judicial Code: Contains laws related to civil remedies and protections.
  • Utah Anti-Discrimination Act: This law might be relevant if there was any form of discrimination.
  • Homepage for additional information: Utah State Legislature.

Potential Courses of Action

  1. Document Everything: Begin by thoroughly documenting the incident. Write down every detail you remember, gather any potential evidence such as photos, videos, or witness statements.
  2. Legal Representation: It's crucial to find the right lawyer who specializes in police misconduct or civil rights violations in Utah. They can provide guidance tailored to your specific circumstances.
  3. File an Internal Complaint: Reach out to the police departments involved and file an internal complaint. This will initiate an internal investigation into the officers' conduct.
  4. Civil Lawsuit: Depending on your attorney's advice, you may have grounds to file a lawsuit against the police departments or individual officers involved for violation of your civil rights, sexual harassment, and possibly other claims.
  5. Reach Out to Civil Rights Organizations: Organizations such as the ACLU may provide resources or even legal support in cases of egregious police misconduct.

Estimated Legal Fees in Utah

Service Estimated Cost
Initial Consultation with a Civil Rights Lawyer $150 - $500
Filing an Internal Complaint (legal assistance) $300 - $1,000
Civil Lawsuit (Initial stages) $1,500 - $5,000
Civil Lawsuit (If it goes to trial) $10,000 - $50,000
Legal Representation for Out-of-court Settlement $5,000 - $15,000

Note: The above costs are just estimates and can vary based on the lawyer's experience, the complexity of the case, and other factors. It's essential to consult with legal professionals in Utah to get accurate pricing.

Further Information Needed

To better assist you, it would be helpful to have more details regarding the incident:

  1. Were there any witnesses to the event, and have their accounts been documented?
  2. Have you documented any injuries or emotional trauma you experienced due to this incident?
  3. Are you aware of any surveillance or security cameras that might have captured the incident?

Q1: What are my rights during an arrest in Utah?

In Utah, during an arrest, you have the right to remain silent and to have an attorney present during questioning. Unreasonable force or conduct by the police can be considered a violation of your rights.

Q2: Can police enter my home without permission?

Generally, the police need a warrant to enter your home. There are exceptions, such as when they believe someone is in imminent danger or evidence is about to be destroyed.

Q3: What kind of damages can I recover in a civil rights lawsuit?

In a successful civil rights lawsuit, you might recover compensatory damages (for physical and emotional harm), punitive damages (to punish the wrongdoers), and legal fees.

Q4: How do I prove police misconduct?

Evidence such as video footage, witness statements, and medical records can be vital. An attorney can help gather and present this evidence effectively.

Q5: What should I avoid doing after experiencing police misconduct?

Avoid discussing the case in detail on social media or with other individuals besides your attorney. It's essential to ensure your statements remain consistent and that you don't inadvertently damage your case.

Your situation sounds deeply distressing, and I highly recommend seeking legal guidance promptly. Taking action may not only bring justice for you but can also ensure that others don't undergo a similar ordeal. If you have further questions or need direction, don't hesitate to ask a free legal question.


This content is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. It's always recommended to consult with a local attorney about your specific situation.

Written, answered, changed

Legal question "How would I go about suing all 3 of the police departments for sexual harassment in my area?" has been changed 10 months 1 week ago. Demonstrate your legal skills and willingness to help and answer right now! Issue is related to the location of Utah & area of law: discrimination & civil rights law....
Latest reviews & rating
Can't believe there are no comments (answers) yet? You can be the first author. Let us know what you think and answer this question.. Write a comment

Respond to legal question!

Do you know the answer to a legal question that is related to the field of law called discrimination & civil rights law...? If you believe that you can advise the inquirer – in even the slightest way – do not hesitate and share your opinion in the comment section. This contribution concerns the location of Utah and, therefore, it is important to post only comments that are relevant to this location. Do you have a similar or a different legal inquiry? Select the correct category, fill in all the required fields, and submit your post.
accident & property damage attorneys accountants-certified public administrative & governmental law... admiralty & maritime law attorneys adoption law attorneys adoption services attorneys antitrust law attorneys appellate practice attorneys arbitration & mediation attorneys arbitration services asbestos & chemical law attorneys automobile accident attorneys bankruptcy law attorneys bankruptcy services business litigation attorneys child custody attorneys child support collections civil litigation & trial law attorneys collection agencies collection law attorneys commercial law attorneys construction law attorneys consumer law attorneys contract law attorneys copying & duplicating service corporation & partnership law attorneys credit & debt counseling Criminal defense attorney disability services discrimination & civil rights law... divorce assistance divorce attorneys domestic violence attorneys drug charges attorneys dui & dwi attorneys employment discrimination attorneys family law attorneys federal law attorneys financial services franchise law attorneys general practice attorneys government offices immigration law attorneys insurance attorneys international law attorneys labor & employment law attorneys medical law attorneys medical malpractice attorneys paralegals patent (intellectual property) personal injury law attorneys probate (estate planning) probate law attorneys sex offense attorneys sexual harassment attorneys tax attorneys trademark & copyright law traffic law attorneys trusts & estate planning... wrongful death attorneys
Are you having trouble finding a reliable and highly-rated attorney in your area of residence? Does the endless process of browsing and comparing law firms annoy you? If so, simply skip this step and post your request (or a general legal question) in our Free Legal Advice Center. Then wait for a reply from our experienced legal advisors, consultants or even your chosen lawyers. You can inquire about anything concerning your case, as well as questions about judicial issues in your state.

Comments: answer this question

"How would I go about suing all 3 of the police departments for sexual harassment in my area?"

discrimination & civil rights law... Utah

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
I agree with Terms & Privacy Policy
Enter the characters shown in the image.

© 2016