Skip to main content

Dealing with a Legal Challenge? Don't wait. Ask your legal question for free. Urgent legal matters require immediate attention!

How many times can you leave the country in a year without breaking continuous residence of 5 years to be eligible for naturalization?

This legal question related to immigration & naturalization... in Texas has been answered.


How many times can you leave the country in a year without breaking continuous residence of 5 years to be eligible for naturalization? Short trips that won’t last for 6 mos for the total in one year. 

Commonly posted questions...

Criminal defense immigration lawyers. Complexities of Immigration and Deportation
2 years 10 months ago, immigration & naturalization..., Cobb
How should I proceed to be a Green Card holder?
4 years 4 months ago, immigration & naturalization..., Cushing

Legal Solution

The response provided below is specific to immigration & naturalization... in the jurisdiction of Texas. If the response is inadequate, please submit a detailed inquiry.

Continuous Residence Requirements for Naturalization in Texas

When considering naturalization in the United States, maintaining continuous residence is a critical requirement. It's essential to understand how travel outside of the country might affect your eligibility. Especially in Texas, which adheres to federal immigration regulations, understanding these nuances is vital.

Relevant Statutes and Sources

Possible Solutions to Maintain Continuous Residence

To be considered as maintaining continuous residence:

  1. Avoid trips outside of the U.S. that last six months or longer. Absences of this length risk disrupting continuous residence.
  2. While there's no fixed limit to the number of short trips you can make, the total duration of all trips within a year should not approach six months.
  3. It's advisable to maintain strong ties to Texas during your trips, such as keeping a residence, a job, or having family in the state. These ties can be useful if you need to demonstrate continuous residence.
  4. Always keep records of your travels. In case of any disputes, records like plane tickets and passport stamps can be invaluable evidence.
  5. Consult with a local immigration attorney or find the right lawyer who can advise on your specific circumstances.

Average Costs for Immigration Legal Services in Texas

Service Average Cost
Initial consultation $250 - $350
Application for Naturalization (N-400) $500 - $1,200
Travel Document Application (I-131) $300 - $600
Continuous Residence Evaluation $400 - $900

Note: Prices can vary based on attorney experience, complexity of the case, and other factors. Some Texas attorneys might offer a flat fee for specific services, while others operate on an hourly rate.

Seeking Further Information

Your inquiry was clear, but to provide the most accurate advice, could you provide more information on the total duration of your intended trips out of the country? Seeking professional guidance is always a smart move to navigate the complexities of immigration laws effectively.

Relevant Questions to Address

  • How many trips outside the U.S. do you anticipate taking within the year?
  • What will be the approximate length of each trip?
  • Do you have established ties in Texas, such as employment or property?

Q1: Does traveling frequently but for short durations jeopardize my continuous residence?

No, as long as the combined duration of all trips within a year doesn't approach six months, and you maintain strong ties to the U.S.

Q2: Can I lose my permanent resident status if I stay out of the U.S. for an extended period?

Yes. Prolonged absences, especially those over a year, can be deemed as abandoning your permanent resident status. Always consult an attorney before planning long trips.

Q3: Can employment overseas impact my continuous residence?

It can. Continuous employment overseas, especially without maintaining a residence or other ties to the U.S., might jeopardize continuous residence.

Q4: Can I apply for a re-entry permit to stay out of the U.S. longer without affecting my continuous residence?

Yes. A re-entry permit can allow permanent residents to stay outside the U.S. for up to two years without losing their status. However, it doesn't guarantee the preservation of continuous residence for naturalization purposes.

Q5: Is there a way to preserve my continuous residence for naturalization if I have to stay out of the U.S. for more than one year due to unforeseen circumstances?

Under specific conditions, you might apply for a special immigrant return visa. It's essential to consult with an immigration attorney to understand your options better.


This content is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. It's always recommended to consult with a local attorney about your specific situation.

Written, answered, changed

Legal question "How many times can you leave the country in a year without breaking continuous residence of 5 years to be eligible for naturalization? " has been changed 10 months 1 week ago. Demonstrate your legal skills and willingness to help and answer right now! Issue is related to the location of Texas & area of law: immigration & naturalization....
Latest reviews & rating
Can't believe there are no comments (answers) yet? You can be the first author. Let us know what you think and answer this question.. Write a comment

Respond to legal question!

Do you know the answer to a legal question that is related to the field of law called immigration & naturalization...? If you believe that you can advise the inquirer – in even the slightest way – do not hesitate and share your opinion in the comment section. This contribution concerns the location of Texas and, therefore, it is important to post only comments that are relevant to this location. Do you have a similar or a different legal inquiry? Select the correct category, fill in all the required fields, and submit your post.
accident & property damage attorneys accountants-certified public administrative & governmental law... admiralty & maritime law attorneys adoption law attorneys adoption services attorneys antitrust law attorneys appellate practice attorneys arbitration & mediation attorneys arbitration services asbestos & chemical law attorneys automobile accident attorneys bankruptcy law attorneys bankruptcy services business litigation attorneys child custody attorneys child support collections civil litigation & trial law attorneys collection agencies collection law attorneys commercial law attorneys construction law attorneys consumer law attorneys contract law attorneys copying & duplicating service corporation & partnership law attorneys credit & debt counseling Criminal defense attorney disability services discrimination & civil rights law... divorce assistance divorce attorneys domestic violence attorneys drug charges attorneys dui & dwi attorneys employment discrimination attorneys family law attorneys federal law attorneys financial services franchise law attorneys general practice attorneys government offices immigration law attorneys insurance attorneys international law attorneys labor & employment law attorneys medical law attorneys medical malpractice attorneys paralegals patent (intellectual property) personal injury law attorneys probate (estate planning) probate law attorneys sex offense attorneys sexual harassment attorneys tax attorneys trademark & copyright law traffic law attorneys trusts & estate planning... wrongful death attorneys
Are you having trouble finding a reliable and highly-rated attorney in your area of residence? Does the endless process of browsing and comparing law firms annoy you? If so, simply skip this step and post your request (or a general legal question) in our Free Legal Advice Center. Then wait for a reply from our experienced legal advisors, consultants or even your chosen lawyers. You can inquire about anything concerning your case, as well as questions about judicial issues in your state.

Comments: answer this question

"How many times can you leave the country in a year without breaking continuous residence of 5 years to be eligible for naturalization? "

immigration & naturalization... Texas

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
I agree with Terms & Privacy Policy
Enter the characters shown in the image.

© 2016