Skip to main content

Dealing with a Legal Challenge? Don't wait. Ask your legal question for free. Urgent legal matters require immediate attention!

HOW TO GET RECORDS? The Elusive Name Change Record: Navigating the Bureaucracy

This legal question related to immigration law attorneys in BronxNew York has been answered.

Location: Bronx  |  Law type: immigration law attorneys


Commonly posted questions...

A professional and positive image symbolizing immigration law, focusing on hope and resolution. The scene is a close-up, wide photograph with realistic colors. It features a well-lit, tidy lawyer's office, with a wooden desk prominently displaying legal books, a gavel, and a small globe. In the background, there's a neatly arranged bookshelf filled with legal tomes and a framed inspirational quote about justice and perseverance. Subtle elements like a small flag or national symbols are tastefully incorporat Posibilites of getting a I601 & I212 pardon approved
6 months ago, immigration law attorneys, New Jersey

Legal Solution

The response provided below is specific to immigration law attorneys in the jurisdiction of Bronx. If the response is inadequate, please submit a detailed inquiry.

The Elusive Name Change Record: Navigating the Bureaucracy

Analyzing the information provided, it's evident you're experiencing a bureaucratic loop. In 1972, you changed your name during the citizenship process in Bronx. While the courts direct you to immigration and vice versa, FOIA has only given you partial records, missing the essential detail of your name change. It's crucial to understand the right channels and potentially involve an immigration law attorney to assist you.

Relevant Statutes and Links

  • Name Change Statutes: These govern the process and requirements for changing one's name.
  • FOIA: Laws and guidelines that detail how to request government documents.
  • Immigration and Naturalization Laws: These pertain to the process of acquiring citizenship and might have a clause about name changes.

For a comprehensive understanding, refer to the official U.S. Government Website.

Potential Solutions

  1. Consult with an Immigration Law Attorney: Sometimes, having an attorney can streamline the process. They might have contacts or knowledge about specific departments or individuals who handle such records. Consider using resources like find the right lawyer to get specialized help.
  2. Detailed Letter to FOIA: Send another request to FOIA, this time detailing the discrepancies in the documents received. Highlight the absence of the name change record.
  3. Personal Visit: Consider visiting the court or immigration office personally. Sometimes, face-to-face interactions can yield better results.

Average Cost for Legal Services in Bronx

Service Average Cost
Consultation with an Immigration Attorney $300 - $500
Filing a new FOIA request $20 - $50
Retrieving Court Records $50 - $100
Legal Documentation Assistance $100 - $300

Please note that the prices might vary based on the complexity of the case and the reputation of the attorney. Bronx might have its unique pricing dynamics due to its location and demand for legal services.

Clarification Needed

While I have provided some potential solutions based on your situation, it would be beneficial to know more about the copies FOIA sent you. Were they incomplete or just not the documents you were expecting?

Reach out and take action: Don't let bureaucracy deter you. Your efforts, combined with professional help, can lead you to the desired records.

Relevant Questions

  • Did you receive any other documents during the name change process?
  • Were you given a certificate or any form of acknowledgment about the name change in 1972?
  • Can you recall the specific department or individual you interacted with during the name change?

Frequently Asked Questions

How long does it take to receive documents from FOIA?

Typically, the FOIA process should complete within 20 business days, but it can vary based on the complexity of the request.

What can I do if my FOIA request is denied?

You can appeal the decision. If that doesn't yield results, consider seeking the assistance of an attorney.

Is there a fee for changing your name during the citizenship process?

Yes, there is typically a fee associated, but it can vary depending on the exact procedures and timeframe.

Can I change my name again after acquiring citizenship?

Yes, but you would need to go through the legal name change process, which can be separate from the citizenship process.

How can I verify the authenticity of the documents received from FOIA?

The documents should come on official letterhead with the relevant government department's seal. If in doubt, consult with an attorney or directly contact the issuing department.


This content is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. It's always recommended to consult with a local attorney about your specific situation.

Written, answered, changed

Legal question "HOW TO GET RECORDS? The Elusive Name Change Record: Navigating the Bureaucracy" has been changed 9 months 2 weeks ago. Demonstrate your legal skills and willingness to help and answer right now! Issue is related to the location of Bronx & area of law: immigration law attorneys.
Latest reviews & rating
Can't believe there are no comments (answers) yet? You can be the first author. Let us know what you think and answer this question.. Write a comment

Respond to legal question!

Do you know the answer to a legal question that is related to the field of law called immigration law attorneys? If you believe that you can advise the inquirer – in even the slightest way – do not hesitate and share your opinion in the comment section. This contribution concerns the location of Bronx and, therefore, it is important to post only comments that are relevant to this location. Do you have a similar or a different legal inquiry? Select the correct category, fill in all the required fields, and submit your post.
accident & property damage attorneys accountants-certified public administrative & governmental law... admiralty & maritime law attorneys adoption law attorneys adoption services attorneys antitrust law attorneys appellate practice attorneys arbitration & mediation attorneys arbitration services asbestos & chemical law attorneys automobile accident attorneys bankruptcy law attorneys bankruptcy services business litigation attorneys child custody attorneys child support collections civil litigation & trial law attorneys collection agencies collection law attorneys commercial law attorneys construction law attorneys consumer law attorneys contract law attorneys copying & duplicating service corporation & partnership law attorneys credit & debt counseling Criminal defense attorney disability services discrimination & civil rights law... divorce assistance divorce attorneys domestic violence attorneys drug charges attorneys dui & dwi attorneys employment discrimination attorneys family law attorneys federal law attorneys financial services franchise law attorneys general practice attorneys government offices immigration law attorneys insurance attorneys international law attorneys labor & employment law attorneys medical law attorneys medical malpractice attorneys paralegals patent (intellectual property) personal injury law attorneys probate (estate planning) probate law attorneys sex offense attorneys sexual harassment attorneys tax attorneys trademark & copyright law traffic law attorneys trusts & estate planning... wrongful death attorneys
Are you having trouble finding a reliable and highly-rated attorney in your area of residence? Does the endless process of browsing and comparing law firms annoy you? If so, simply skip this step and post your request (or a general legal question) in our Free Legal Advice Center. Then wait for a reply from our experienced legal advisors, consultants or even your chosen lawyers. You can inquire about anything concerning your case, as well as questions about judicial issues in your state.

Comments: answer this question

"HOW TO GET RECORDS? The Elusive Name Change Record: Navigating the Bureaucracy"

Bronx immigration law attorneys

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
I agree with Terms & Privacy Policy
Enter the characters shown in the image.

© 2016