Skip to main content

How Fair is Her Divorce Share Considering My Major Financial Contributions?

Location: London  |  Law type: Divorce attorneys

Is it just to give my wife £50K from the house value when I've primarily funded the mortgage and major expenses, especially given her limited contributions due to her health?

I'm currently facing an impending divorce which is amicable as of now. We don't have kids, and my wife and I are trying to settle things without involving lawyers to avoid additional expenses. Our house is worth about £140K, and she wants £50K from it. Although this might seem generous, I'm having second thoughts.

When we were about to get married, she did contribute to the mortgage for a year. But since then, her contributions have been limited to smaller expenses like petrol, the TV licence, food, and our dog's needs. I, on the other hand, have been the primary breadwinner, covering the mortgage, major bills, and even expensive holidays for both of us. The entire mortgage has now been paid off with mostly my earnings.

Her limited contributions can be traced back to her health issues. Shortly after our wedding, she had to be institutionalized due to her Bipolar disorder, which rendered her unemployed for over 3 years. She then worked part-time for the next 3 years. Only in the recent year has she started earning a decent salary. I've also been taking on a significant portion of the housework due to her health condition.

Despite our shared chores, there have been stressors. I've started drinking heavily due to work stress in the past year, which coincidentally is when she decided to leave.

Considering all this, what kind of lawyer should I seek? How do I ensure they're competent and trustworthy? And what are the potential costs?

Commonly posted questions...

Desperate Man Needs Legal Advice Amidst Divorce & False Accusations
6 days 17 hours ago, Divorce attorneys, California
Seeking Legal Guidance: Divorcing a High-Ranking Navy Officer Wife
6 days 17 hours ago, Divorce attorneys, California

Legal Solution

The response provided below is specific to Divorce attorneys in the jurisdiction of London. If the response is inadequate, please submit a detailed inquiry.

Legal Analysis and Recommendations

Understanding the Context

From what you've shared, it seems you've shouldered the majority of the financial responsibilities in your marriage due to your wife's health and employment challenges. Given that the majority of the mortgage and significant bills were paid by you, your concerns about the fairness of the proposed £50K division are valid. The division of assets during a divorce, especially when done amicably, should consider past contributions, present circumstances, and future needs.

Relevant Regulations and Links

Potential Solutions

  1. Mediation: Before seeking legal representation, consider mediation. A mediator can help both parties communicate their concerns and reach a mutual agreement. Here's a government link to help you find a mediator.
  2. Hiring a Lawyer: If you decide to involve a lawyer, it might be beneficial to find the right lawyer who specializes in divorce cases. They can provide a more detailed analysis of your situation and guide you accordingly.
  3. Negotiation: Discuss openly with your wife, considering both of your contributions (both monetary and non-monetary) to the marriage.

Estimated Legal Costs

Service Average Cost (£) Notes
Initial Consultation with a lawyer 250 Typically an hour's duration
Mediation sessions 100 per session 3-5 sessions usually required
Divorce lawyer (not including court fees) 1,500 - 3,000 Depending on the complexity
Court fees (if it goes to court) 550 This is a fixed cost

Note: These are average costs. It's crucial to get quotes from multiple sources before making a decision.

Further Clarifications

Before we proceed, could you provide a clearer breakdown of assets and contributions from both sides during your marriage? This can help in understanding the situation better and advising you accordingly.

For a more tailored analysis, please answer the following:

  • Have you both sought independent legal advice yet?
  • Are there any other significant assets or debts in the marriage?
  • Has there been any formal documentation regarding the property and its division?

Q1: How is property usually divided in a divorce?

The division of property in a divorce can vary. It's typically based on various factors including each party's financial and non-financial contributions, the needs of both parties, and the welfare of any children involved.

Q2: Can I get reimbursed for my financial contributions?

While the court will consider each party's contributions, it doesn't necessarily mean a direct reimbursement. It will look at the whole picture, including non-financial contributions, when deciding on asset division.

Q3: What if we can't reach an agreement through mediation?

If mediation fails, you can seek legal representation and possibly go to court. A judge will then decide on the division based on fairness and equity.

Q4: Are legal fees shared in a divorce case?

Typically, each party pays for their legal fees unless otherwise ordered by the court.

Q5: Can mental health impact the division of assets?

Mental health can be a factor if it affects one's ability to work or earn. The court will consider the welfare and needs of both parties when deciding on asset division.


This content is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. It's always recommended to consult with a local attorney about your specific situation.

Written, answered, changed

Legal question "How Fair is Her Divorce Share Considering My Major Financial Contributions?" has been changed 6 days 18 hours ago. Demonstrate your legal skills and willingness to help and answer right now! Issue is related to the location of London & area of law: Divorce attorneys.
Latest reviews & rating
Can't believe there are no comments (answers) yet? You can be the first author. Let us know what you think and answer this question.. Write a comment

Respond to legal question!

Do you know the answer to a legal question that is related to the field of law called Divorce attorneys? If you believe that you can advise the inquirer – in even the slightest way – do not hesitate and share your opinion in the comment section. This contribution concerns the location of London and, therefore, it is important to post only comments that are relevant to this location. Do you have a similar or a different legal inquiry? Select the correct category, fill in all the required fields, and submit your post.
accident & property damage attorneys accountants-certified public administrative & governmental law... admiralty & maritime law attorneys adoption law attorneys adoption services attorneys antitrust law attorneys appellate practice attorneys arbitration & mediation attorneys arbitration services asbestos & chemical law attorneys automobile accident attorneys bankruptcy law attorneys bankruptcy services business litigation attorneys child custody attorneys child support collections civil litigation & trial law attorneys collection agencies collection law attorneys commercial law attorneys construction law attorneys consumer law attorneys contract law attorneys copying & duplicating service corporation & partnership law attorneys credit & debt counseling Criminal defense attorney disability services discrimination & civil rights law... divorce assistance divorce attorneys domestic violence attorneys drug charges attorneys dui & dwi attorneys employment discrimination attorneys family law attorneys federal law attorneys financial services franchise law attorneys general practice attorneys government offices immigration law attorneys insurance attorneys international law attorneys labor & employment law attorneys medical law attorneys medical malpractice attorneys paralegals patent (intellectual property) personal injury law attorneys probate (estate planning) probate law attorneys sex offense attorneys sexual harassment attorneys tax attorneys trademark & copyright law traffic law attorneys trusts & estate planning... wrongful death attorneys
Are you having trouble finding a reliable and highly-rated attorney in your area of residence? Does the endless process of browsing and comparing law firms annoy you? If so, simply skip this step and post your request (or a general legal question) in our Free Legal Advice Center. Then wait for a reply from our experienced legal advisors, consultants or even your chosen lawyers. You can inquire about anything concerning your case, as well as questions about judicial issues in your state.

Comments: answer this question

"How Fair is Her Divorce Share Considering My Major Financial Contributions?"

Divorce attorneys London

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
I agree with Terms & Privacy Policy
Enter the characters shown in the image.

© 2016