Skip to main content

How do I open an ancillary estate in Carbon county, PA to transfer assets from my deceased parents ?


Parents set up a living trust in SC where they own property and passed away this year.  The Trustee is living in Albrightsville, PA where they own additional property & need to transfer the assets into Trust.



Legal Solution

The response provided below is specific to trusts & estate planning... in the jurisdiction of Albrightsville. If the response is inadequate, please submit a detailed inquiry.

Opening an Ancillary Estate in Carbon County, PA for Asset Transfer

When a loved one passes away leaving behind assets in a different state, it may be necessary to open an ancillary estate in the jurisdiction where those assets are located. In your situation, where your parents set up a living trust in South Carolina but have additional assets in Carbon County, PA, the Trustee may need to initiate proceedings in Pennsylvania to facilitate the asset transfer.

Relevant Legal Provisions:

Solution to the Problem:

To open an ancillary estate in Carbon County:

  1. Initiate a Petition: Start by filing a petition in the Orphans’ Court of Carbon County to open the ancillary estate.
  2. Present Original Documents: Usually, you'd need to present authenticated copies of the original will, if one exists, and the letters of administration from South Carolina.
  3. Appoint an Ancillary Personal Representative: If the original Trustee is unable or unwilling to act in Pennsylvania, a local representative may be appointed.
  4. Administer and Transfer: Once the ancillary estate is opened, the representative can gather, administer, and ultimately transfer the assets into the Trust.

You might want to find the right lawyer familiar with Pennsylvania estate laws to guide you through the process.

Price Overview in Albrightsville, Carbon County:

Service Average Price ($)
Consultation with Estate Attorney 250
Opening an Ancillary Estate 1,750
Asset Transfer and Management 2,300
Finalizing and Closing Estate 900

Note: Prices can vary depending on the complexity of the case, the attorney's experience, and other local factors. Some attorneys may also offer a flat fee for certain services, while others charge an hourly rate.

Seeking Clarification:

It's crucial to understand the specifics of your parents' estate and their assets in Albrightsville. Were there any specific provisions in their will or trust regarding the Pennsylvania property? Knowing this can expedite the process.
Take Action: Ensure that all assets are properly accounted for and compare lawyers in your area to find the best fit for your needs.

Relevant Questions to Consider:

  • Have you procured a death certificate for your deceased parents?
  • Are there any debts or obligations associated with the property in Pennsylvania?
  • Was a will or other estate planning document filed in South Carolina that could impact the asset transfer in Pennsylvania?

Q1: How long does it typically take to open and close an ancillary estate in Carbon County?

It generally depends on the complexity of the estate, the type of assets involved, and whether any legal disputes arise. On average, it can take anywhere from a few months to over a year.

Q2: Can the Trustee from South Carolina act as the ancillary personal representative in Pennsylvania?

Yes, the Trustee can act as the ancillary personal representative. However, they might need to appoint a local agent for service of process in Pennsylvania.

Q3: What happens if the Pennsylvania property is subject to a mortgage or other liens?

Any outstanding mortgages or liens will need to be settled before the asset can be transferred to the trust. This might involve selling the property or refinancing the mortgage.

Q4: Are there any Pennsylvania-specific taxes or fees associated with the transfer of assets?

Pennsylvania does have an inheritance tax, which varies based on the relationship of the heir to the deceased. There might also be fees associated with recording deeds or other necessary documents.

Q5: What happens if there is a dispute over the assets in the ancillary estate?

Disputes over assets can complicate the process. In such cases, it's vital to have legal representation. Mediation or court proceedings might be necessary to resolve the matter.


This content is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. It's always recommended to consult with a local attorney about your specific situation.

Written, answered, changed

Legal question "How do I open an ancillary estate in Carbon county, PA to transfer assets from my deceased parents ?" has been changed 1 week 6 days ago. Demonstrate your legal skills and willingness to help and answer right now! Issue is related to the location of Albrightsville & area of law: trusts & estate planning....
Latest reviews & rating
Can't believe there are no comments (answers) yet? You can be the first author. Let us know what you think and answer this question.. Write a comment

Respond to legal question!

Do you know the answer to a legal question that is related to the field of law called trusts & estate planning...? If you believe that you can advise the inquirer – in even the slightest way – do not hesitate and share your opinion in the comment section. This contribution concerns the location of Albrightsville and, therefore, it is important to post only comments that are relevant to this location. Do you have a similar or a different legal inquiry? Select the correct category, fill in all the required fields, and submit your post.
accident & property damage attorneys accountants-certified public administrative & governmental law... admiralty & maritime law attorneys adoption law attorneys adoption services attorneys antitrust law attorneys appellate practice attorneys arbitration & mediation attorneys arbitration services asbestos & chemical law attorneys automobile accident attorneys bankruptcy law attorneys bankruptcy services business litigation attorneys child custody attorneys child support collections civil litigation & trial law attorneys collection agencies collection law attorneys commercial law attorneys construction law attorneys consumer law attorneys contract law attorneys copying & duplicating service corporation & partnership law attorneys credit & debt counseling Criminal defense attorney disability services discrimination & civil rights law... divorce assistance divorce attorneys domestic violence attorneys drug charges attorneys dui & dwi attorneys employment discrimination attorneys family law attorneys federal law attorneys financial services franchise law attorneys general practice attorneys government offices immigration law attorneys insurance attorneys international law attorneys labor & employment law attorneys medical law attorneys medical malpractice attorneys paralegals patent (intellectual property) personal injury law attorneys probate (estate planning) probate law attorneys sex offense attorneys sexual harassment attorneys tax attorneys trademark & copyright law traffic law attorneys trusts & estate planning... wrongful death attorneys
Are you having trouble finding a reliable and highly-rated attorney in your area of residence? Does the endless process of browsing and comparing law firms annoy you? If so, simply skip this step and post your request (or a general legal question) in our Free Legal Advice Center. Then wait for a reply from our experienced legal advisors, consultants or even your chosen lawyers. You can inquire about anything concerning your case, as well as questions about judicial issues in your state.

Comments: answer this question

"How do I open an ancillary estate in Carbon county, PA to transfer assets from my deceased parents ?"

trusts & estate planning... Albrightsville

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
I agree with Terms & Privacy Policy
Enter the characters shown in the image.

© 2016