Skip to main content

Dealing with a Legal Challenge? Don't wait. Ask your legal question for free. Urgent legal matters require immediate attention!

How to Deal With a Home Renovation Contractor Who Has Caused Substantial Damage to My Property in Seattle?

This legal question related to accident & property damage attorneys in SeattleWashington has been answered.


I contracted with a Seattle-based home renovation company to remodel my kitchen. During the renovation, a subcontractor negligently damaged a load-bearing wall, which has now resulted in structural integrity concerns for my entire house. A structural engineer assessed the damage and estimated the repair costs to be upwards of $50,000. Not only is this financial stress, but it's also a safety concern for my family.

Where Do I Stand Legally?

I've been advised that contractors and their subcontractors are liable for damages caused due to their negligence under Washington law. However, the contractor is pushing back, claiming that the damage was pre-existing and not due to their work.

Initial Steps I've Taken

  • Gathered documentation and photos of the damage.
  • Obtained a detailed report from the structural engineer.
  • Sent a written complaint to the contractor with copies of all evidence.
  • Reviewed my home insurance policy to see if it covers such damages.
  • The contractor's insurance has been notified, but they're stalling.

How to Proceed?

1. Get a legal consultation on the best course of action against the contractor. 2. Understand the process of filing a claim in small claims court if needed. 3. Explore the option of a homeowner's insurance claim in parallel. 4. Consider contacting the local contractor licensing board for a complaint.

Critical Questions and Next Actions

1. How can I prove the contractor's liability for the damage in a legal setting? 2. What timeframe do I have to file a lawsuit for property damage in Washington State? 3. Should I pursue repair work before the claim is settled, or wait for compensation? 4. What evidence is required to dispute the contractor's claim that the damage was pre-existing? 5. How can I handle communications with the contractor’s insurance to ensure they don’t dismiss my claim? 6. Are there specific lawyers in Seattle who specialize in contractor negligence cases? 7. What steps can I take if the contractor is unresponsive or refuses to accept liability? 8. How to deal with safety concerns while the dispute is ongoing?

Commonly posted questions...

Photo of a suburban neighborhood in San Diego, with two houses side by side under a sunny sky. One house has a newly installed metal fence encroaching onto the neighboring property. There is garden furniture and children's toys close to the fence on the encroached side, indicating regular use of that area. The properties are otherwise quiet, with no individuals present, highlighting the dispute over property lines. How to handle a dispute with a neighbor over property lines and possible encroachment in San Diego?
8 months 1 week ago, accident & property damage attorneys, San Diego
Photo of a residential backyard in Austin, Texas, showing two properties divided by a clear demarcation where one side has a lush garden and the other side is bare. A pathway indicates an easement with footprints and gardening tools left on the path, suggesting recent use. The lighting is natural and bright, highlighting the tension of shared space, with a focus on the easement area showing signs of frequent crossing. Boundary disputes with neighbors over newly discovered easement in Austin, Texas?
8 months 1 week ago, accident & property damage attorneys, Austin

Legal Solution

The response provided below is specific to accident & property damage attorneys in the jurisdiction of Seattle. If the response is inadequate, please submit a detailed inquiry.

Legal Framework and Statutes

When dealing with property damage in Seattle, several legal statutes and regulations are particularly relevant. Under Washington State law, specifically RCW 18.27.114, contractors are required to be registered and are held responsible for the outcome of their work, including any damage due to negligence. It's also essential to refer to RCW 4.16.080 for the statute of limitations concerning property damage, which dictates the timeframe within which you may file a lawsuit. If you require more detailed legal statutes or specific case law, consult the Washington State Legislature's website for comprehensive legal information.

Possible Solutions

Pursuing Legal Action

If the contractor denies liability, you may need to initiate legal action. This would likely involve:

  • Filing a lawsuit in a court with jurisdiction over the value of the damage.
  • Presenting the evidence collected, including the structural engineer’s report and any communication with the contractor, to prove their negligence.

Insurance Claim

While pursuing legal remedies, you can also file a claim with your homeowner's insurance. It is crucial to check your policy for coverage details regarding contractor negligence and structural damage.

Licensing Board Complaint

Another course of action would be to file a complaint with the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries, which regulates contractors. They have the authority to investigate and discipline registered contractors for violations of state regulations.

Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)

Consider arbitration and mediation attorneys as an alternative to litigation, which can be less adversarial and more cost-effective.

Contractor's Insurance

Dealing with the contractor’s insurance can be challenging. Keep detailed records of all communications and consider enlisting the help of a lawyer experienced in insurance claims to advocate on your behalf.

Pricing Table for Legal Services in Seattle

Service Average Cost in Seattle % Difference from National Average
Legal Consultation $350 per hour +20%
Filing a Lawsuit $1,500 - $5,000 +15%
Structural Engineer Assessment $500 - $2,000 +10%
Mediation Services $200 - $400 per hour +5%
Homeowner’s Insurance Claim Assistance $1,000 - $3,000 +25%

These prices are indicative and can vary based on the complexity of the case. Seattle’s legal market may command higher rates due to the cost of living and market demand for specialized legal services.

Case Complexity and Examples

Why These Cases Are Complicated:

Contractor negligence cases in Seattle are complex due to multiple factors such as establishing clear liability, assessing the extent of damage, dealing with insurance companies, and navigating legal procedures.

Case Studies:

  1. Improper Electrical Work: A homeowner hires a contractor for electrical upgrades. Due to faulty work, a fire occurs. Resolution includes filing an insurance claim, contractor’s bond claim, and a lawsuit for damages.

  2. Water Damage from Roofing Job: A contractor replaces a roof, but the first rain reveals leaks that damage the interior. This would involve insurance claims and potential litigation for repair costs and property devaluation.

  3. Foundation Damage During Remodel: While adding a room, a contractor damages the foundation. A structural engineer assesses the damage, and the homeowner seeks compensation through legal action or ADR.

Institutions such as the King County Superior Court or Seattle Municipal Court and legal frameworks under Washington State law provide avenues for resolution.

Relevant Questions for the User

  • Have you formally notified the contractor of the damage in writing, and what was their response?
  • Did the contract with the renovation company include any warranty or guarantee of workmanship?
  • Are there any other witnesses or evidence that can attest to the condition of the property before the contractor began work?

Common Questions and Answers

Q1: What should I do immediately after discovering the damage?

Document everything. Take pictures, keep a log of discoveries and communications, and secure the property to prevent further damage. Notify your insurance and the contractor in writing as soon as possible.

Q2: How long do I have to file a lawsuit for property damage in Washington State?

Washington State typically allows for a three-year statute of limitations for property damage, but it’s best to consult with a lawyer to confirm the specific deadlines that apply to your case.

Q3: Can I repair the damage before the claim is settled?

It's best to wait until you have documented the damage thoroughly. However, if immediate repairs are necessary to prevent further damage, make sure to document the process and keep all receipts. Inform your insurance company before proceeding with any repairs.

Feel free to seek further legal counsel to address any additional concerns or to navigate the complexities of your particular situation.


This content is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. It's always recommended to consult with a local attorney about your specific situation.

Written, answered, changed

Legal question "How to Deal With a Home Renovation Contractor Who Has Caused Substantial Damage to My Property in Seattle?" has been changed 8 months 1 week ago. Demonstrate your legal skills and willingness to help and answer right now! Issue is related to the location of Seattle & area of law: accident & property damage attorneys.
Latest reviews & rating
Can't believe there are no comments (answers) yet? You can be the first author. Let us know what you think and answer this question.. Write a comment
A realistic photo of a visibly stressed homeowner in Seattle holding a report from a structural engineer, with a partially demolished kitchen and a damaged load-bearing wall in the background. The scene should depict the severity of the damage and the owner's concern. The homeowner is a middle-aged Black man wearing casual clothing. No branding or logos are visible.
A realistic photo of a visibly stressed homeowner in Seattle holding a report from a structural engineer, with a partially demolished kitchen and a damaged load-bearing wall in the background. The scene should depict the severity of the damage and the owner's concern. The homeowner is a middle-aged Black man wearing casual clothing. No branding or logos are visible....

Respond to legal question!

Do you know the answer to a legal question that is related to the field of law called accident & property damage attorneys? If you believe that you can advise the inquirer – in even the slightest way – do not hesitate and share your opinion in the comment section. This contribution concerns the location of Seattle and, therefore, it is important to post only comments that are relevant to this location. Do you have a similar or a different legal inquiry? Select the correct category, fill in all the required fields, and submit your post.
accident & property damage attorneys accountants-certified public administrative & governmental law... admiralty & maritime law attorneys adoption law attorneys adoption services attorneys antitrust law attorneys appellate practice attorneys arbitration & mediation attorneys arbitration services asbestos & chemical law attorneys automobile accident attorneys bankruptcy law attorneys bankruptcy services business litigation attorneys child custody attorneys child support collections civil litigation & trial law attorneys collection agencies collection law attorneys commercial law attorneys construction law attorneys consumer law attorneys contract law attorneys copying & duplicating service corporation & partnership law attorneys credit & debt counseling Criminal defense attorney disability services discrimination & civil rights law... divorce assistance divorce attorneys domestic violence attorneys drug charges attorneys dui & dwi attorneys employment discrimination attorneys family law attorneys federal law attorneys financial services franchise law attorneys general practice attorneys government offices immigration law attorneys insurance attorneys international law attorneys labor & employment law attorneys medical law attorneys medical malpractice attorneys paralegals patent (intellectual property) personal injury law attorneys probate (estate planning) probate law attorneys sex offense attorneys sexual harassment attorneys tax attorneys trademark & copyright law traffic law attorneys trusts & estate planning... wrongful death attorneys
Are you having trouble finding a reliable and highly-rated attorney in your area of residence? Does the endless process of browsing and comparing law firms annoy you? If so, simply skip this step and post your request (or a general legal question) in our Free Legal Advice Center. Then wait for a reply from our experienced legal advisors, consultants or even your chosen lawyers. You can inquire about anything concerning your case, as well as questions about judicial issues in your state.

Comments: answer this question

"How to Deal With a Home Renovation Contractor Who Has Caused Substantial Damage to My Property in Seattle?"

accident & property damage attorneys Seattle

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
I agree with Terms & Privacy Policy
Enter the characters shown in the image.

© 2016