Skip to main content

Dealing with a Legal Challenge? Don't wait. Ask your legal question for free. Urgent legal matters require immediate attention!

How can my wife get her citizenship and social security?

This legal question related to immigration law attorneys in Michigan has been answered.

Location: Michigan  |  Law type: immigration law attorneys

Ive been married nine years to a woman Ive known fifty years. She was charged with a felony after graduating college (M S U) in the seventies. She was born in Canada but her mom is a U S citizen. She will be 69 yrs old in September. She is trying to get social security but they denied her again. Can she get citizenship and social security?

Commonly posted questions...

A professional and positive image symbolizing immigration law, focusing on hope and resolution. The scene is a close-up, wide photograph with realistic colors. It features a well-lit, tidy lawyer's office, with a wooden desk prominently displaying legal books, a gavel, and a small globe. In the background, there's a neatly arranged bookshelf filled with legal tomes and a framed inspirational quote about justice and perseverance. Subtle elements like a small flag or national symbols are tastefully incorporat Posibilites of getting a I601 & I212 pardon approved
6 months 3 weeks ago, immigration law attorneys, New Jersey

Legal Solution

The response provided below is specific to immigration law attorneys in the jurisdiction of Michigan. If the response is inadequate, please submit a detailed inquiry.

U.S. Citizenship and Social Security for a Canadian-Born Individual with a U.S. Citizen Mother

Analyzing the details you've provided, your wife's journey to acquiring U.S. citizenship and Social Security appears intricate due to her unique background. Being Canadian-born with a U.S. citizen mother presents both challenges and opportunities. The felony charge after her graduation is a factor that must be cautiously navigated in the process.

Relevant Laws and Websites

  • The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) - Homepage
  • The Social Security Administration (SSA) - Homepage

Potential Solutions

Given your wife's background, the path forward may involve the following steps:

  1. Citizenship through Parents: Since her mother is a U.S. citizen, she might already be a U.S. citizen or may have a claim to citizenship. She should explore the USCIS guidelines on Citizenship through Parents.
  2. Addressing the Felony Charge: Any criminal record can affect the naturalization process. Seek legal counsel to review the impact of the felony charge on her situation.
  3. Social Security Benefits: Once her citizenship status is resolved, she can re-apply for Social Security benefits. It's essential to provide comprehensive documentation to show her eligibility.
  4. Legal Counsel: Given the complexity of your wife's situation, consulting with an immigration attorney is imperative. They can guide her through the naturalization process, help address the felony charge's implications, and aid in securing her Social Security benefits. Here is a resource to find the right lawyer.

Average Attorney Fees in Michigan

Service Average Cost
Initial Consultation $250 - $500
Citizenship Application Assistance $1,500 - $3,500
Felony Record Impact Assessment $1,000 - $2,500
Social Security Benefits Application $800 - $2,000

Please note: These are general estimates, and actual costs can vary based on attorney experience, complexity of the case, and other factors. Michigan doesn't have any specific restrictions on attorney fees for these services; however, always request a clear breakdown of costs before hiring an attorney.

Clarifications and Action Steps

It would be helpful to know more about the specifics of your wife's felony charge, as this will heavily influence the strategy moving forward. Securing the best possible outcome for your wife will require a detailed understanding of the situation. Hence, do consider discussing your case in-depth with a legal professional. If you're unsure where to start, compare lawyers in your area and ensure you're making an informed choice.

Relevant Questions to Consider:

  • What was the nature and specifics of the felony charge against your wife?
  • Has she ever held or applied for U.S. documentation (passport, citizenship certificate)?
  • Has she previously applied for U.S. citizenship? If so, what was the outcome?
  • Did she ever reside in the U.S. before turning 18?
  • Has she sought legal representation regarding her citizenship and Social Security application?

Q1: Can a felony charge prevent U.S. citizenship?

While a felony charge can pose challenges, it doesn't automatically bar someone from becoming a U.S. citizen. The impact depends on the nature and severity of the crime. An immigration attorney can provide guidance tailored to the specific charge.

Q2: Is it possible for a person born outside the U.S. to claim citizenship through a U.S. citizen parent?

Yes, under the INA, a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent(s) might have acquired or derived U.S. citizenship at birth. The specific requirements and documentation can be complex and may require legal consultation.

Q3: How long does the naturalization process typically take?

The time frame can vary significantly based on individual circumstances, but generally, the process can take anywhere from 6 months to several years.

Q4: What are the benefits of obtaining U.S. citizenship over just being a permanent resident?

U.S. citizenship offers several benefits not available to permanent residents, such as the right to vote, the ability to run for public office, and more protection against deportation.

Q5: Can an attorney help in speeding up the Social Security application process?

While an attorney can't expedite the Social Security application process per se, they can ensure the application is complete and accurate, potentially avoiding delays or denials due to errors or omissions.


This content is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. It's always recommended to consult with a local attorney about your specific situation.

Written, answered, changed

Legal question "How can my wife get her citizenship and social security?" has been changed 10 months ago. Demonstrate your legal skills and willingness to help and answer right now! Issue is related to the location of Michigan & area of law: immigration law attorneys.
Latest reviews & rating
Can't believe there are no comments (answers) yet? You can be the first author. Let us know what you think and answer this question.. Write a comment

Respond to legal question!

Do you know the answer to a legal question that is related to the field of law called immigration law attorneys? If you believe that you can advise the inquirer – in even the slightest way – do not hesitate and share your opinion in the comment section. This contribution concerns the location of Michigan and, therefore, it is important to post only comments that are relevant to this location. Do you have a similar or a different legal inquiry? Select the correct category, fill in all the required fields, and submit your post.
accident & property damage attorneys accountants-certified public administrative & governmental law... admiralty & maritime law attorneys adoption law attorneys adoption services attorneys antitrust law attorneys appellate practice attorneys arbitration & mediation attorneys arbitration services asbestos & chemical law attorneys automobile accident attorneys bankruptcy law attorneys bankruptcy services business litigation attorneys child custody attorneys child support collections civil litigation & trial law attorneys collection agencies collection law attorneys commercial law attorneys construction law attorneys consumer law attorneys contract law attorneys copying & duplicating service corporation & partnership law attorneys credit & debt counseling Criminal defense attorney disability services discrimination & civil rights law... divorce assistance divorce attorneys domestic violence attorneys drug charges attorneys dui & dwi attorneys employment discrimination attorneys family law attorneys federal law attorneys financial services franchise law attorneys general practice attorneys government offices immigration law attorneys insurance attorneys international law attorneys labor & employment law attorneys medical law attorneys medical malpractice attorneys paralegals patent (intellectual property) personal injury law attorneys probate (estate planning) probate law attorneys sex offense attorneys sexual harassment attorneys tax attorneys trademark & copyright law traffic law attorneys trusts & estate planning... wrongful death attorneys
Are you having trouble finding a reliable and highly-rated attorney in your area of residence? Does the endless process of browsing and comparing law firms annoy you? If so, simply skip this step and post your request (or a general legal question) in our Free Legal Advice Center. Then wait for a reply from our experienced legal advisors, consultants or even your chosen lawyers. You can inquire about anything concerning your case, as well as questions about judicial issues in your state.

Comments: answer this question

"How can my wife get her citizenship and social security?"

immigration law attorneys Michigan

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
I agree with Terms & Privacy Policy
Enter the characters shown in the image.

© 2016