Skip to main content

Criminalization of individuals with severe psychiatric disorders! How can I get information on helping my brother?

I'm not exactly sure what help I need or where I need to start. My brother is currently incarcerated in Decatur, MS @ the Sheriff's office. He has been charged with multiple counts of breaking into a storage facility. He has been in and out of jail since he was very young. We were not aware of the mental issues that he had until several years ago. While incarcerated at the same location, they sent him for a mental evaluation because his symptoms began to progress. They took him before Judge Marcus Gordon and he ordered the county to send him to a mental health facility for treatment and stated that he was unfit to stand trial. The current Sheriff at the time never sent him for his treatment. Instead he held him for over two years in solitary confinement to the point that when he was finally able to have a visit, his hair was halfway down his back and his facial hair was nearly to his chest. Instead of sending him for his treatment AGAIN, they sent him to Lauderdale County ( without his medication) to face some charges there. His court appointed attorney ordered him to stay quiet and not mention the mental hold. He instructed him to just answer YES or NO while in front of the Judge.

They convinced him to sign a plea deal giving him 10 yrs. He was released at some point ( without his medication). He then committed the offense that he is charged with now. The charges now are not legitimate charges. He did break into a couple storage units, they have him on camera, he was there for 20 minutes and now they're trying to say that he broke into 12 units. There's no way that he could have done that in a 20 minute period. Cutting the locks , going through the units, and then replacing the locks. That is far fetched for anyone. But that doesn't matter in Newton County....This is not the first time they've tried to pin crimes on him. My mother is determined to fight this because they are trying to give him 49 yrs for this...which is ridiculous for several reasons but the main reason is that he has been diagnoses with several different mental issues that began when he was a very young child. He has self medicated with drugs since the age of 10/12. While on the proper medication, he is a totally different person, the person he should be. When he is not, he lives in a different reality than we do. How can we get help? What can we do?

Quick reply - criminalization of individuals with severe mental issues:

Hello, thank you for your question related to criminal defense, arrest and jailing people with mental Illness.

Criminalization of individuals with severe psychiatric disorders is a major problem. Once in jail, many individuals don't receive the treatment they need. 

How to find an excellent criminal lawyer for your case? Browse our list of criminal defense lawyers near you and resolve your criminal (human rights) issue! Compare attorney fees, experience, reputation among clients, and services offered. 

Legal question "Criminalization of individuals with severe psychiatric disorders! How can I get information on helping my brother? " has been written 3 months 3 weeks ago. Demonstrate your legal skills and willingness to help and answer right now! Issue is related to the location of Mississippi & area of law: Criminal defense attorney, human resource consultants. Latest answer commented 3 months 3 weeks ago.
Answering question will demonstrate your legal skills! Write answer now!

Respond to legal question!

Do you know the answer to a legal question that is related to the field of law called Criminal defense attorney, human resource consultants? If you believe that you can advise the inquirer – in even the slightest way – do not hesitate and share your opinion in the comment section. This contribution concerns the location of Mississippi and, therefore, it is important to post only comments that are relevant to this location. Do you have a similar or a different legal inquiry? Select the correct category, fill in all the required fields, and submit your post.
accident & property damage attorneys accountants-certified public administrative & governmental law... admiralty & maritime law attorneys adoption law attorneys adoption services attorneys antitrust law attorneys appellate practice attorneys arbitration & mediation attorneys arbitration services asbestos & chemical law attorneys automobile accident attorneys bankruptcy law attorneys bankruptcy services business litigation attorneys child custody attorneys child support collections civil litigation & trial law attorneys collection agencies collection law attorneys commercial law attorneys construction law attorneys consumer law attorneys contract law attorneys copying & duplicating service corporation & partnership law attorneys credit & debt counseling Criminal defense attorney disability services discrimination & civil rights law... divorce assistance divorce attorneys domestic violence attorneys drug charges attorneys dui & dwi attorneys employment discrimination attorneys family law attorneys federal law attorneys financial services franchise law attorneys general practice attorneys government offices immigration law attorneys insurance attorneys international law attorneys labor & employment law attorneys medical law attorneys medical malpractice attorneys paralegals patent (intellectual property) personal injury law attorneys probate (estate planning) probate law attorneys sex offense attorneys sexual harassment attorneys tax attorneys trademark & copyright law traffic law attorneys trusts & estate planning... wrongful death attorneys
Are you having trouble finding a reliable and highly-rated attorney in your area of residence? Does the endless process of browsing and comparing law firms annoy you? If so, simply skip this step and post your request (or a general legal question) in our Free Legal Advice Center. Then wait for a reply from our experienced legal advisors, consultants or even your chosen lawyers. You can inquire about anything concerning your case, as well as questions about judicial issues in your state.

Comments: answer this question

"Criminalization of individuals with severe psychiatric disorders! How can I get information on helping my brother? "

Criminal defense attorney human resource consultants Mississippi

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
I agree with Terms & Privacy Policy
Enter the characters shown in the image.

© 2016