Skip to main content

Dealing with a Legal Challenge? Don't wait. Ask your legal question for free. Urgent legal matters require immediate attention!

Hit by DUI Driver at Night in LA Crosswalk: What Do I Do?

This legal question related to dui & dwi attorneys in Los AngelesCalifornia has been answered.

Location: Los Angeles  |  Law type: dui & dwi attorneys

I was hit by a suspected drunk driver at a night crosswalk in Los Angeles. What are my legal rights and obligations?

Last week, on a Friday night in Los Angeles, I was riding my motorcycle, minding my own business. As I approached a crosswalk, I saw a car speeding towards me. Before I could react, the car hit me. From what witnesses told me, they believed the driver had been drinking. There were empty liquor bottles in the car. I suffered a broken leg and my motorcycle is damaged. I'm now worried about medical bills, lost wages, and other unexpected costs.

I've never been in such a situation, and I'm unsure of the next steps. Which type of lawyer should I be looking to hire? How can I compare lawyers in my area to ensure they have the right experience for cases like mine? And what might the potential costs be for hiring a legal professional in Los Angeles?

Commonly posted questions...

Legal Solution

The response provided below is specific to dui & dwi attorneys in the jurisdiction of Los Angeles. If the response is inadequate, please submit a detailed inquiry.

First, I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Situations like these can be overwhelming, especially when dealing with injuries and damages. In the state of California, being hit by a driver under the influence, especially at a crosswalk, places you in a good position to seek compensation for your injuries and damages. The fact that the accident happened at night doesn't lessen the responsibility of the driver if they are charged with a DUI.

Relevant Laws and Resources

  • California Vehicle Code Section 23152: Prohibits driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • California Vehicle Code Section 21950: Obligates drivers to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians in crosswalks.
  • California's Department of Motor Vehicles: This is the primary source for understanding traffic and vehicle-related laws in California. You might want to start your research here.

Potential Legal Solutions

Considering the details you provided, the best course of action would be:

  1. Seek immediate medical attention and ensure all your injuries are documented.
  2. Hire a personal injury lawyer or a DUI & DWI lawyer experienced in such cases in Los Angeles.
  3. Collect evidence, including any available surveillance footage, witness statements, and police reports.
  4. Consider filing a personal injury lawsuit against the driver. Given the suspected DUI, you may also be entitled to punitive damages.

Expected Legal Fees in Los Angeles

Legal Service Average Price
Initial Consultation $150 - $400
Case Assessment & Strategy Development $500 - $1,200
Representation in Court $2,000 - $10,000
Out-of-Court Settlement Negotiation $1,000 - $4,500
Post-Trial Proceedings & Appeals $3,000 - $12,000

Note: Many personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Prices may vary depending on the complexity of your case.

Seeking More Details

Before diving deep into legal proceedings, it's essential to gather more information.

Could you provide more clarity on whether there was a police report filed, any witnesses at the scene, or if there are any surveillance cameras nearby?

Ensure you protect your rights. Reach out to a legal professional for comprehensive guidance.

Questions for Consideration:

  1. Were there any visible traffic signals or signs near the crosswalk?

    • This can greatly impact the liability factor of the driver.
  2. Did you obtain contact details from any witnesses?

    • Witness statements can significantly strengthen your case.
  3. Were you wearing any protective gear or reflective clothing?

    • While this doesn't shift blame, it can influence the perception of your precautions.

Q1: If the driver is charged with DUI, does that automatically mean they are at fault?

In most cases, a DUI charge can heavily sway the liability towards the driver, especially if the victim was following traffic rules.

Q2: Can I seek compensation even if my injuries are minor?

Yes, even minor injuries can have long-term implications. You can seek compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and other related expenses.

Q3: What if the driver doesn't have insurance?

California has uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. If you have this type of insurance, it may cover your damages.

Q4: Can I settle the matter out of court?

Yes, many cases are settled out of court. A lawyer can help negotiate a settlement on your behalf.

Q5: How long do I have to file a lawsuit?

In California, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is two years from the date of the injury. It's crucial to act promptly.


This content is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. It's always recommended to consult with a local attorney about your specific situation.

Written, answered, changed

Legal question "Hit by DUI Driver at Night in LA Crosswalk: What Do I Do?" has been changed 8 months 3 weeks ago. Demonstrate your legal skills and willingness to help and answer right now! Issue is related to the location of Los Angeles & area of law: dui & dwi attorneys.
Latest reviews & rating
Can't believe there are no comments (answers) yet? You can be the first author. Let us know what you think and answer this question.. Write a comment

Respond to legal question!

Do you know the answer to a legal question that is related to the field of law called dui & dwi attorneys? If you believe that you can advise the inquirer – in even the slightest way – do not hesitate and share your opinion in the comment section. This contribution concerns the location of Los Angeles and, therefore, it is important to post only comments that are relevant to this location. Do you have a similar or a different legal inquiry? Select the correct category, fill in all the required fields, and submit your post.
accident & property damage attorneys accountants-certified public administrative & governmental law... admiralty & maritime law attorneys adoption law attorneys adoption services attorneys antitrust law attorneys appellate practice attorneys arbitration & mediation attorneys arbitration services asbestos & chemical law attorneys automobile accident attorneys bankruptcy law attorneys bankruptcy services business litigation attorneys child custody attorneys child support collections civil litigation & trial law attorneys collection agencies collection law attorneys commercial law attorneys construction law attorneys consumer law attorneys contract law attorneys copying & duplicating service corporation & partnership law attorneys credit & debt counseling Criminal defense attorney disability services discrimination & civil rights law... divorce assistance divorce attorneys domestic violence attorneys drug charges attorneys dui & dwi attorneys employment discrimination attorneys family law attorneys federal law attorneys financial services franchise law attorneys general practice attorneys government offices immigration law attorneys insurance attorneys international law attorneys labor & employment law attorneys medical law attorneys medical malpractice attorneys paralegals patent (intellectual property) personal injury law attorneys probate (estate planning) probate law attorneys sex offense attorneys sexual harassment attorneys tax attorneys trademark & copyright law traffic law attorneys trusts & estate planning... wrongful death attorneys
Are you having trouble finding a reliable and highly-rated attorney in your area of residence? Does the endless process of browsing and comparing law firms annoy you? If so, simply skip this step and post your request (or a general legal question) in our Free Legal Advice Center. Then wait for a reply from our experienced legal advisors, consultants or even your chosen lawyers. You can inquire about anything concerning your case, as well as questions about judicial issues in your state.

Comments: answer this question

"Hit by DUI Driver at Night in LA Crosswalk: What Do I Do?"

dui & dwi attorneys Los Angeles

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
I agree with Terms & Privacy Policy
Enter the characters shown in the image.

© 2016