Skip to main content

Guardianship of my Uncle - Securing Guardianship of a Mentally Unstable Relative in Nebraska

Location: Chappell, Nebraska  |  Law type: Family law attorneys

I have an uncle who is mentally unstable. His parents took care of him when he was a young boy and then after they had passed my grandma took care of him for as long as I can remember. Then the state of Nebraska fought her for her guardianship after she had passed so now he is a ward of the state and I want to know what it will take for me to take over guardianship of him. I am a 24 year old who has a stable income. I have worked since I was 14 years old. I went to college. I love my uncle so much and I don't like how my family has basically "given" up on him and I just want him to know that he has someone on his side. In his head he thinks he is a 6 year old boy. He's diabetic, lives in an apartment with the windows locked, the door locks at a certain time and he feels like he is in prison and no body likes him. He used to be a big guy and now he just looks ill. He has cancer in his blood and has for as long as I can remember. I just want to bring him closer to where I live.

Commonly posted questions...

Struggling with Ex's Financial Disclosure: What Next?
1 week ago, Family law attorneys, Miami
Meeting New Partner Post-Separation and Navigating Co-parenting
1 week ago, Family law attorneys, Pennsylvania

Legal Solution

The response provided below is specific to Family law attorneys in the jurisdiction of Chappell, Nebraska. If the response is inadequate, please submit a detailed inquiry.

Securing Guardianship of a Mentally Unstable Relative in Nebraska

You've presented a heartfelt situation regarding your uncle, who is currently a ward of the state in Nebraska. The process of assuming guardianship for a vulnerable adult is multifaceted and requires navigating legal, financial, and medical considerations. It's commendable that you wish to offer him support, especially given the various health challenges he faces.

Relevant Nebraska Statutes:

  1. Nebraska Revised Statutes §30-2601 - Regarding Guardianship and Protective Proceedings.
  2. Nebraska Revised Statutes §30-2628 - Concerning Appointment of a Guardian; Qualifications; Priority of Minor Over 14.
  3. Homepage: Nebraska Government Website - A central hub for state resources and links to legal information.

Potential Solutions:

  1. Legal Consultation: Before embarking on this journey, consult with family lawyers who specialize in guardianship cases. They can provide guidance tailored to your unique situation and Nebraska law.
  2. Gathering Documentation: You'll need evidence of your uncle's health condition, medical needs, and any other pertinent information to prove that guardianship is in his best interest.
  3. Petitioning the Court: File a petition in the county court where your uncle resides to request the transfer of guardianship. The court will usually hold a hearing to determine the best interest of the person in question.
  4. Financial Assessment: You may need to undergo a financial assessment to ensure you can provide adequate care and resources for your uncle's needs.
  5. Home Evaluation: The state may require an evaluation of your living conditions to ensure they're suitable for your uncle's needs.
  6. Support: Link up with local organizations and resources to ensure you and your uncle receive the support required during this transition. It may also be beneficial to compare lawyers in your area to ensure you're getting the best representation possible.

Estimated Legal Fees in Chappell, Nebraska:

Service Estimated Cost
Initial Consultation $250 - $500
Filing Court Petitions $500 - $1,200
Home Evaluation $300 - $700
Financial Assessment $150 - $300
Ongoing Legal Representation $1,500 - $4,000 per year

Note: These prices are estimates and may vary based on specific circumstances and law firm rates. Also, some legal services may have fixed prices or be contingent on certain outcomes.

Call to Action:

The path to guardianship is complex but noble. To provide the best care for your uncle, arm yourself with knowledge and the right resources. If unsure, always ask a free legal question to ensure you're making informed decisions.

Relevant Questions:

  • Do you have access to your uncle's medical records and documentation that highlights his mental state and health challenges?
  • Are there other family members who might contest or support your bid for guardianship?
  • Have you discussed this decision with your uncle to gauge his feelings and wishes?

Q1: What qualifies someone to be a guardian in Nebraska?

In Nebraska, a qualified guardian must be over 19 years of age, a resident of the state or a close relative of the ward, and have no disqualifying criminal record. The court also considers the best interest of the individual when assigning guardianship.

Q2: How long does the guardianship process typically take?

The process can vary based on specific circumstances, but typically, it can take several weeks to a few months. It's dependent on court schedules, the urgency of the situation, and the thoroughness of the evaluations involved.

Q3: Can guardianship be shared or transferred between family members?

Yes, Nebraska law allows for co-guardianships, where two or more individuals share the responsibility. Transferring guardianship requires court approval and might involve a similar process to the initial guardianship establishment.

Q4: Does Nebraska offer any financial assistance or resources for guardians?

Some state programs might assist with medical care, housing, or other needs of wards. It's best to consult with a local family lawyer to learn about available resources.

Q5: Can the ward oppose or refuse the guardianship?

Yes, the individual has rights during the process. If they are capable of expressing their wishes, the court will consider them. An attorney might be appointed to represent their interests in such cases.


This content is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. It's always recommended to consult with a local attorney about your specific situation.

Written, answered, changed

Legal question "Guardianship of my Uncle - Securing Guardianship of a Mentally Unstable Relative in Nebraska" has been changed 2 weeks 2 days ago. Demonstrate your legal skills and willingness to help and answer right now! Issue is related to the location of Chappell, Nebraska & area of law: Family law attorneys.
Latest reviews & rating
Can't believe there are no comments (answers) yet? You can be the first author. Let us know what you think and answer this question.. Write a comment

A Family attorney in the United States is a lawyer who assists clients with civil legal matters, such as "child custody", "alimony", "domestic violence" or "divorce" cases. The "family law" candidate should have at least 2 years of family law experience. These experiences may include divorce proceedings as well as child custody and counseling. Browse our database of family lawyers and get a free family law consultation.

  • Marriage, civil unions, and domestic partnerships (domestic violence)
  • Adoption and surrogacy
  • Child abuse and child abduction (child custody, child care)
  • The termination of relationships and ancillary matters, including divorce, annulment, property settlements, alimony, child custody and visitation, child support and alimony awards
  • Juvenile adjudication
  • paternity testing and paternity fraud
  • more about family law at wikipedia

Respond to legal question!

Do you know the answer to a legal question that is related to the field of law called Family law attorneys? If you believe that you can advise the inquirer – in even the slightest way – do not hesitate and share your opinion in the comment section. This contribution concerns the location of Chappell, Nebraska and, therefore, it is important to post only comments that are relevant to this location. Do you have a similar or a different legal inquiry? Select the correct category, fill in all the required fields, and submit your post.
accident & property damage attorneys accountants-certified public administrative & governmental law... admiralty & maritime law attorneys adoption law attorneys adoption services attorneys antitrust law attorneys appellate practice attorneys arbitration & mediation attorneys arbitration services asbestos & chemical law attorneys automobile accident attorneys bankruptcy law attorneys bankruptcy services business litigation attorneys child custody attorneys child support collections civil litigation & trial law attorneys collection agencies collection law attorneys commercial law attorneys construction law attorneys consumer law attorneys contract law attorneys copying & duplicating service corporation & partnership law attorneys credit & debt counseling Criminal defense attorney disability services discrimination & civil rights law... divorce assistance divorce attorneys domestic violence attorneys drug charges attorneys dui & dwi attorneys employment discrimination attorneys family law attorneys federal law attorneys financial services franchise law attorneys general practice attorneys government offices immigration law attorneys insurance attorneys international law attorneys labor & employment law attorneys medical law attorneys medical malpractice attorneys paralegals patent (intellectual property) personal injury law attorneys probate (estate planning) probate law attorneys sex offense attorneys sexual harassment attorneys tax attorneys trademark & copyright law traffic law attorneys trusts & estate planning... wrongful death attorneys
Are you having trouble finding a reliable and highly-rated attorney in your area of residence? Does the endless process of browsing and comparing law firms annoy you? If so, simply skip this step and post your request (or a general legal question) in our Free Legal Advice Center. Then wait for a reply from our experienced legal advisors, consultants or even your chosen lawyers. You can inquire about anything concerning your case, as well as questions about judicial issues in your state.

Comments: answer this question

"Guardianship of my Uncle - Securing Guardianship of a Mentally Unstable Relative in Nebraska"

Chappell Family law attorneys Nebraska

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
I agree with Terms & Privacy Policy
Enter the characters shown in the image.

© 2016