Skip to main content

Dealing with a Legal Challenge? Don't wait. Ask your legal question for free. Urgent legal matters require immediate attention!

Almost Hit by a Drunk Motorcyclist in LA! What Can I Do?

This legal question related to dui & dwi attorneys in Los AngelesCalifornia has been answered.

Location: Los Angeles  |  Law type: dui & dwi attorneys

Was almost hit by a drunk motorcyclist in Los Angeles and there's property damage involved. What rights do I have?

While I was walking down Main Street in Los Angeles last Friday night, a motorcyclist swerved onto the sidewalk. I jumped out of the way, but the motorcyclist hit a lamp post. He tried to speed off but fell down a few meters away. Several witnesses, including a bartender from the nearby pub, said the guy was drinking heavily before getting on his bike. The bike has damages, and so does the lamp post.

As a pedestrian, I'm not sure about my rights here. Can he be charged with DUI even if he didn't hit me? If the city fines him for the property damage, can I also sue for emotional distress or something similar? What kind of lawyer should I look for? I've heard legal fees can be high - how much can I expect to spend?

Commonly posted questions...

Legal Solution

The response provided below is specific to dui & dwi attorneys in the jurisdiction of Los Angeles. If the response is inadequate, please submit a detailed inquiry.

From your description, it sounds like you were placed in a dangerous situation due to the negligence of a potentially intoxicated motorcyclist. In California, pedestrians have specific rights, especially when involved in incidents with motor vehicles.

Relevant Legal Provisions:

  • California Vehicle Code §23152: Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs
  • California Vehicle Code §21950: Rights and Duties of Pedestrians at Crosswalks
  • California State Official Website

Potential Legal Solutions:

Given your situation, it might be possible to press charges against the motorcyclist for endangering a pedestrian, even if you were not physically harmed. The damage to public property (the lamp post) might also make the motorcyclist liable. For your emotional distress, consulting with a personal injury lawyer could provide clarity. It may also be beneficial to compare lawyers in your area to find someone who fits your needs and budget.

Legal Fees in Los Angeles:

Legal Service Average Cost
Consultation $150 - $300/hr
Filing a lawsuit $500 - $1,000
Full representation $2,000 - $10,000+
Emotional distress claim $1,500 - $5,000

Note: Costs vary widely based on the complexity of the case and the lawyer's experience. Many lawyers in personal injury cases work on a contingency fee basis, which means they take a percentage of any compensation you receive.

Further Clarification:

To give a more precise answer, we'd need more details. For instance:

  • Were there any police on the scene?
  • Did you obtain witness statements?
  • Were there any security cameras that might have recorded the incident?

Relevant Questions for You:

  • Were you physically harmed, even if it was minor?
    • The extent of any injury can impact potential claims.
  • Did you see the motorcyclist consume alcohol or appear intoxicated before the incident?
    • Direct observation strengthens DUI claims.
  • Do you have insurance that might cover any therapy or counseling you might need due to the trauma?
    • This might affect any compensation you seek.

Q1: Can a motorcyclist be charged with DUI if they didn't cause an injury?

Yes, in California, a person can be charged with a DUI if they're found operating a vehicle (including motorcycles) under the influence, regardless of whether they caused an injury or accident.

Q2: How do I prove emotional distress?

Proving emotional distress usually requires documentation, like therapy records or testimony from a mental health professional about the distress you're experiencing.

Q3: Can I sue for damages to my property if the city is also fining the motorcyclist?

Yes, you can pursue a separate civil claim for damages to your property, even if the city imposes a fine for the damage to public property.

Q4: What if the motorcyclist doesn't have insurance?

If the motorcyclist doesn't have insurance, you can still sue them personally. However, collecting the judgment can be more challenging if they don't have the financial means to pay.

Q5: How do I find a good lawyer for my case?

You can find the right lawyer for your case by researching and comparing lawyers in your area, reading reviews, and scheduling consultations.


This content is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. It's always recommended to consult with a local attorney about your specific situation.

Written, answered, changed

Legal question "Almost Hit by a Drunk Motorcyclist in LA! What Can I Do?" has been changed 8 months 4 weeks ago. Demonstrate your legal skills and willingness to help and answer right now! Issue is related to the location of Los Angeles & area of law: dui & dwi attorneys.
Latest reviews & rating
Can't believe there are no comments (answers) yet? You can be the first author. Let us know what you think and answer this question.. Write a comment

Respond to legal question!

Do you know the answer to a legal question that is related to the field of law called dui & dwi attorneys? If you believe that you can advise the inquirer – in even the slightest way – do not hesitate and share your opinion in the comment section. This contribution concerns the location of Los Angeles and, therefore, it is important to post only comments that are relevant to this location. Do you have a similar or a different legal inquiry? Select the correct category, fill in all the required fields, and submit your post.
accident & property damage attorneys accountants-certified public administrative & governmental law... admiralty & maritime law attorneys adoption law attorneys adoption services attorneys antitrust law attorneys appellate practice attorneys arbitration & mediation attorneys arbitration services asbestos & chemical law attorneys automobile accident attorneys bankruptcy law attorneys bankruptcy services business litigation attorneys child custody attorneys child support collections civil litigation & trial law attorneys collection agencies collection law attorneys commercial law attorneys construction law attorneys consumer law attorneys contract law attorneys copying & duplicating service corporation & partnership law attorneys credit & debt counseling Criminal defense attorney disability services discrimination & civil rights law... divorce assistance divorce attorneys domestic violence attorneys drug charges attorneys dui & dwi attorneys employment discrimination attorneys family law attorneys federal law attorneys financial services franchise law attorneys general practice attorneys government offices immigration law attorneys insurance attorneys international law attorneys labor & employment law attorneys medical law attorneys medical malpractice attorneys paralegals patent (intellectual property) personal injury law attorneys probate (estate planning) probate law attorneys sex offense attorneys sexual harassment attorneys tax attorneys trademark & copyright law traffic law attorneys trusts & estate planning... wrongful death attorneys
Are you having trouble finding a reliable and highly-rated attorney in your area of residence? Does the endless process of browsing and comparing law firms annoy you? If so, simply skip this step and post your request (or a general legal question) in our Free Legal Advice Center. Then wait for a reply from our experienced legal advisors, consultants or even your chosen lawyers. You can inquire about anything concerning your case, as well as questions about judicial issues in your state.

Comments: answer this question

"Almost Hit by a Drunk Motorcyclist in LA! What Can I Do?"

dui & dwi attorneys Los Angeles

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
I agree with Terms & Privacy Policy
Enter the characters shown in the image.

© 2016